The white space between the final line of body text and the page number

I’ve read several blogs, but no firm answers. The text (lines) at the bottom of the book pages don’t match up on some pages. I don’t want to strike blank lines throughout, and I’m using As-Is (Text in Editor) Layout.

Any ideas?

When you use as-is, it’s as in the Editor. Don’t think you can do anything about it that way. If the white lines are scene breaks, you might use a Custom separator character. But you will need a Section Layout for that.

Only in InDesign, you can push words with character spacing to the next line, without readers noticing it. (Well, you CAN do that in Word too, but Word does it in an ugly way).

Point of clarification, are you saying that on your output pages there is a page number at the footer and it gets the same placement from page to page, but that on page with a full text block, the last line does not end in just the same place? Like it looks like its a half-line off or something. Or are you saying you get paragraphs breaking across pages genuinely early – as in more than one line early (and not like on is avoiding widows and orphans).

If the first, one thought: There may be features on a page that break the rhythm of the typeset page. There are innumerable ways we can do this to ourselves, and then you only notice it when it shows up in artifacts like this. Look for places on a trouble page where the space between lines looks different (including blank lines between paragraphs). Notice if the trouble pages are ones where custom defined paragraphs occur – because your custom paragraph may be using a different space-after setting or different line spacing from your regular body text.

In judging the anomaly, are you looking at printout or what?

1 Like

Thanks, Antoni and gr. I’m in the proofing stages on this book. I’d like to send a photo but can’t do that yet. In the photo (when I can send it), the final line of text on page 61 is one line lower than page 60. This occurs on pages where I’m using the separator as shown, although it is the same pica (10 pt) as the rest of the text. I suspect the pica (18 pt) in the first letters of each section also contributes to the problem. I’ll send the jpeg when I’m allowed to.

I’ve updated your trust level to allow you to post screenshots.

As a general rule, though, you should not expect this level of control from Scrivener.

Here’s a jpeg showing what’s going on.

Looks to me that it’s also widow-and-orphan control on the paragraph at the bottom of page 60. I don’t know what your settings are, but if the top line on 61 moved to the bottom of 60, you’d only have 2 lines of the para left at the top of 61, while the setting may require 3. And similarly, 61 would be one line shorter than 60 because of the widow-and-orphan control not allowing a single line of the next para to stand on its own at the bottom of the page.

Just my guess. And the 18pt cap on 10pt body text won’t help.

Mark

The Scene Divider symbol, combined with the not dropping drop-cap results in an uneven line height between the pages.

'd make sure the white space between the scenes is exactly the sum om the line height and let the drop cap drop exact two or three lines, in stead of sticking out above the x-height of the text.

Thank you. You can’t copy a drop-cap from Microsoft Word into Scrivener, can you? Does this have to be managed through InDesign or some other program?

1 Like

Yes, InDesign has this functionality in its Style Definition dialog. Sigil can reach that Style through its Stylesheet for e-books. Scrivener, unfortunately doesn’t possess this trick.

No, you can’t copy and paste that. Drop capping is a very touchy typesetting thing.

If you are finishing this out in inDesign, you should let inDesign handle the drop cap or whatever decoration you do there. In my workflow, I have a custom style defined in Scriv that does nothing more than flag the paragraph as needing a drop cap. When that style specification gets to inDesign (via a compile to docx), my inDesign template formats it with drop cap, because I have a same-named style there that is set for it.

But you still need — no matter how you go about it — to make sure that your special breaks and such never break the rhythm of the page. As suggested the special scene breakage plus the added lineheight for the big cap need to be sized so that altogether they add up to an equivalent of n-lines of ordinary body text, otherwise the last line on a full page will be off-shifted by some fraction of your general lineheight.

1 Like