The zen of scrivener?

As Umberto Eco put it, that seems to me a tetrapyloctomy. :slight_smile:

Not at all. It’s the difference between the technique of painting and the various usages of painting in modern life. I’m not saying there are no connections between these two things, but they are clearly two different realms.

It’s a fine line (though not mere hair-splitting), but I do think there is a difference between Tips on how to use Scr. as a program and Usage Scenarios on how to use it in the flow with other programs, etc. It could get a little confusing on where to put a post, but I do think I’d expect to find a different set of information in Tips&Tricks–more technical program-related how-to information. Where I’d go to try to find out how to do something in Scr.

In Usage Scenarios, I’d expect to find more out-of-the-box thinking and ideas on how Scr. can be used in the wholeness of one’s writing process. If that makes sense!

I don’t know if we really need these fine distinctions to be so heavily separated. If we have both usage scenarios AND tips & tricks in a single forum, no one will get overwhelmed, or confused—even if, alex and timothy, they are distinct concepts—and people will be more encouraged to post; on the other hand another sub-forum with a handful of posts will not do as much good, and will provide a navigational function which no one really needs right now.

Okay, then how about replacing “tips & tricks” with a broader heading, like:

“Usage Scenarios: Share how you use scrivener, tips & tricks, FAQ”

The advantage is, it’s both clearer and broader. To me at least. :slight_smile:

No, no, they will get confused and life as we know it will cease! :slight_smile: Good suggestion about a broader heading which could include Tips and FAQs. That would certainly work for me. And it would cut down on having so many different threads.

I wonder if it would make it harder to find things in the thread, though, if someone is looking for how-to stuff? Of course, there is always the magic ‘search’ feature one could use to find such things. :slight_smile:

I think that you are on to something. I do believe that grouping both subjects together is a bit broader than the cognitive framework employed by most.

I find navigating Devon’s forum much more effective with the break-out initially suggested (separate “Tips” and “Usage” headings).

Also, some folks seem to like the tips and tricks forum for simply listing tips/tricks versus the questions and oft lengthy discussion threads that may develop from posted usage scenarios.

Two separate forum topics is a better idea, IMO.

Why not use this thread name “The Zen of Scrivener” for the usage category?

It seems an appropriate umbrella under which to discuss all the different paths we are exploring using scrivener.

Damn good point Pipibluestockin. I like it weary much. :slight_smile:

I like “The Zen of Scrivener” myself. The program is pretty straightforward; it’s magic comes from the multiple paths of entry. The zen of Scrivener goes beyond “how-to” to reflection on one’s own creative processes. That’s what I have found so useful in this thread.
Scrivener is not demanding logic from the user; the digital scrivener will do that so long as you keep your fingers on the keyboard. Scrivener presents just enough structure–or rather lets you decide how much you can handle at the moment. DevonThink is super in lots of ways, but I don’t experience it as having a zen–or rather that the zen of DTP happens after Enlightment. Short of that, I experience it as having a lot of housekeeping chores just keeping the closets in the hierarchy in some semblance of order. For that I need both Usage Scenarios and Tips’n’Tricks. DT’s virtues are letting me quickly see the contents of documents and useable search functions. (I have never gotten the zen of Spotlight and suspect that’s because there’s not much to get.)
Many thanks to the people who contributed to this thread. I felt that I learned quite a bit, and review it frequently. And, Keith, I don’t even know where to begin saying thanks for writing such an awesome program. I just love the way the program opens with the corkboard with the 8 stacks of neatly pinned cards, the chapters of my book, making the project from hell look like the angels rule.

I’ve been chuckiling that this hair splitting was just going on and on, but I must say “The Zen of Scrivener” does have some appeal as a category title. Its simultaneous vagueness and unity would mean that discussion topics could remain flexible and expansive without going completely off tack.
In a similar vein, I suggest we rename the complaints/suggestion areas of the forum “Cognitive Dissonance” :wink:

E

:laughing:

As Scrivener goes from a program under development to a finished product, it makes sense that some of the forum groups will gain or lose importance. In the best of all possible worlds, Bug Hunt will go away. Those hoping for a Version 2 will still want Wish List, and Technical Support would be the place to learn how to use the program’s features.

Tips & Tricks & FAQ was originally intended as a place to talk about using Scrivener to produce written work. I still like the idea of having an area to explore using the program as a writing tool, and if that involves mentioning other programs, it’s fine with me. The Zen of Scrivener sounds like an inspired name (mention to Lord Lightning who started a topic earlier this month using this as the subject line).

Margaret

Kind of fun to see all the clever suggestions for naming this topic I proposed many days ago. I’m fine with whatever makes everyone (esp. Keith) happy, but being a literal minded journalist, personally I’d lean away from “'Zen” (cool as that is) and even “Usage Scenarios” and toward a straightforward topic title that precisely describes what we’re talking about. So I’d prefer something prosaic like “Using Scrivener” or “Writing with Scrivener” or something even more exact and descriptive if someone can come up with just the right phrase.

The main thing I want is a place to showcase how writers use Scriv with other apps (inasmuch as Keith designed Scriv to work in tandem with other apps) to create their masterpieces or lesser works. And I’d really like it if we’d detail, step by step, the process we use from beginning to end for particular kinds of projects. Many of us will use it for different kinds of writing. I always seem to learn from these kinds of discussions and am glad to see others are interested too.

New to imac world…wondering if ilisten software will work using scrivener?[/b]

Hello justjg and welcome to the Mac world. I’m new to Scrivener and I was just thinking about going back to iListen which I used when it first came out. There are some posts about iListen and voice recognition software in The Zen of Scrivener-Usage Scenarios forum, so check there.

Welcome to the Mac! Indeed you can use iListen with Scrivener. I am a longtime iListen user and can definitely recommend it. The new version [1.8] has very good recognition accuracy. I do have to admit that in terms of vocabulary and correction, the Windows-only product Dragon Naturally Speaking is better, but iListen has the great advantage of complete OS X integration. With iListen, you can indeed speak anywhere on the Mac – and you can create commands to control any application. When I have longer texts to dictate, I do sometimes create the documents on a PC that runs only Dragon Naturally Speaking and DarkRoom (a simple full-screen text editor) and then drag them into the Scrivener binder, a setup that also works quite well.

There are two threads on voice recognition software that may be interesting to you:

All the best,
J[/url]

Hi folks,

I’ve been using Scrivener since December 2007. I’ve trialed most of the other programmes mentioned (and purchased a couple too).

However, a year later, I’m still finding new features to use in Scrivener and new ways to use them. This has easily been the best investment I’ve made in software and probably the best purchase next to my trusty MacBook.

I’m about to embark on my first round of ‘touting my work’ and if I get some published, I’ll owe some of the kudos to Scrivener.

I have a soft-spot for Avenir/StoryMill but Scrivener just pulls out in front every time.

Brilliant!

Linn I bought it originally for writing a novel (DUH!)

So far these are the uses I have put it trough.

An issue of the Stellar Clarion, my game company magazine… it worked like a charm… each article became its own section… and then I did the major editing in neo office and the final layout in the WIN machine using Word 07… (yes my current DTP… don’t ask, I may get a “real app” soon)

The novel… still a work in progress… as I said DUH!

Right now using it to get the text for the website… a whole new site for a whole new year… yes, I am nuts… but what else is new? And I fully redo the site every year.

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

And for research… given I am a historian by training (and good lord when I was writing my thesis I still used cards… the real deal) I can see how it can be used… easily. You could create a project file and use the research section to file all your notes… research et al. Now for the final thing you will need other stuff, (unless you want to do the bibliography the old fashioned way… enter each by hand… ah the days), but for your initial work… I can easily see how you could use it… you may want to take a look at the collection of templates… in fact the one I used for the Clarion may work for your needs as well.

And good luck… academic writing can be oh so much fun… (and it truly depends on your thesis advisor)

Linn I bought it originally for writing a novel (DUH!)

So far these are the uses I have put it trough.

An issue of the Stellar Clarion, my game company magazine… it worked like a charm… each article became its own section… and then I did the major editing in neo office and the final layout in the WIN machine using Word 07… (yes my current DTP… don’t ask, I may get a “real app” soon)

The novel… still a work in progress… as I said DUH!

Right now using it to get the text for the website… a whole new site for a whole new year… yes, I am nuts… but what else is new? And I fully redo the site every year.

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

And for research… given I am a historian by training (and good lord when I was writing my thesis I still used cards… the real deal) I can see how it can be used… easily. You could create a project file and use the research section to file all your notes… research et al. Now for the final thing you will need other stuff, (unless you want to do the bibliography the old fashioned way… enter each by hand… ah the days), but for your initial work… I can easily see how you could use it… you may want to take a look at the collection of templates… in fact the one I used for the Clarion may work for your needs as well.

And good luck… academic writing can be oh so much fun… (and it truly depends on your thesis advisor)