The zen of scrivener?

Oops, I think that should be ‘payed it forward.’ I’m not very good with cliches and the like–my husband tells me I must have been raised on Mars. I really mangle them quite badly, and I’m a native speaker of North American English, so I don’t have any excuses (other than the being-from-Mars theory).

I like play it forward better. Play to me is reminiscent of basketball or some other sport, you know—fluid passing off of a ball. Pay just reminds me of that execrable Kevin Spacey movie. Was it even a phrase before that movie? If it was, it wasn’t a very good one.

Yeah, I think it’s been around for a while. I like play better too. I’d always rather play than pay (which I associate with bills or karma or whatever). :slight_smile:

Thanks all for the list of useful apps that serve as adjuncts to Scrivener. As a result, I’m now using iClip (thanks to Alexandria’s tip) to replace PTH Pasteboard, made a backup using Synk, and downloaded VoodooPadLite, though I’ll need more time to try it out. You’re right: it’s a fascinating and relatively easily apprehendable app, but it may turn out that my narrow-minded brain actually NEEDS hierarchies like those imposed by Devon. Nevertheless, I’m intrigued by VP’s network metaphor and would appreciate hearing from others who use it with Scriv. I can see the potential in VP and will try it again when I have more time to explore.

Thought I should mention a couple others. My info organizing needs being less intensive those of many others here, I use DevonNote, which provides much of the functionality of DevonThink at a fraction of the cost. You might try that before buying Mori, as suggested earlier.

Like others here, I use Devon to collect the info for all projects and then export what I need for each project as it comes up, then import to get the info into Scriv as research. Then I make an outline in Scriv based on the research, so I’ve added an intermediate step between info gathering and writing. Then I write my draft, export to rtf and send to editors. I’m a journalist and have little need of formatting or printing and therefore seldom use a WP, though I have Mellel and Word on rare occasions I need them.

I’m not sure how much more I’ll be using it now that I’m using Scriv full time, but I thought someone should at least mention the wonderul OmniOutliner, which I hitherto relied on to draft stories until discovering Scriv. It’s so easy, so intuitive. But I’ll probably use only SCriv, TextEdit and Devon from now on. In fact, I seldom use Devon’s AI functions; for me, DN provides a hierarchical repository of notes, which I then organize myself using the old fashioned files 'n folders system. Even though I’m writing a book based on a lot of research, with my limited needs, I sometimes wonder if I could just use the Finder (incl. Spotlight or EasyFind), Scriv and TextEdit. Simplify…

Thanks also to all for the thoughtful, extensive explanations of how and why they prefer the apps they do. It might seem a bit geeky to be carrying on at length about all this, but then I realized that a main reason Scriv works so well is that the author (and now the Scriv community) did exactly this kind of thinking about how to use a writing app.

Now that so much of Scrivener’s development is done, perhaps we might follow the lead of the Devon forum and create a Usage Scenarios forum category, wherein Scriv users show how they put it and other apps to work. That kind of concrete, step by step discussion seems to work better for my relatively literal mind than does listing features of apps (like VoodDoo Pad for example) and forcing me to figure out how I might apply those features to my own work.

Brett, thanks for the interesting post. I agree completely. I’d make use of a catagory like that a great deal. There’s also a part of me that is very partial to this community of writers in general, and it would be great to continue the discussions we’ve had. I also imagine it would help to educate the new users as they come along, thus allowing Keith to write his magnum opus.:wink:

I’ve been trying DT, but the problem for me is a lot of my documents are Final Draft/Montage and other formats that DT doesn’t accept. Might you know of a good document storage/organizer that is agnostic as to file type?

Suggestions for the forum title and where it should go? I’ll happily create one…

Hey keith, hmmmm…how about…: “Using Scrivener: share with others how you use Scrivener”

or: Usage Scenarios?

or: Writing with Scrivener?

also: as to placement, perhaps directly under technical support?

Usage scenarios, as in DT, seems perfect to me.

Ha! When I first read ‘Usage Scenarios’ I thought with indignation, ‘we have that thread already.’ Then I remembered, as Timotheus pointed out, that DT’s site has that thread, not Scr.'s. Yes, Usage Scenarios would work well, I think.

Hmm. Shouldn’t the Tips&Tricks forum be where this kind of stuff goes? That was the original impetus for its creation, if I remember correctly.

No, Amber, in my perception these are two different things which should serve two different purposes. The Tips&Tricks section is for questions and suggestions about “how to create …”, “how to import …”, “how to set up …” etcetera.

The Usage Scenarios section, instead, should be the privileged place for discussions about particular usages of Scrivener as such, about how it can be fit best in your workflow, etcetera. But take a look at the Devon forum, which has both a Tips&Tricks section and a Usage Scenarios section.

As Umberto Eco put it, that seems to me a tetrapyloctomy. :slight_smile:

Not at all. It’s the difference between the technique of painting and the various usages of painting in modern life. I’m not saying there are no connections between these two things, but they are clearly two different realms.

It’s a fine line (though not mere hair-splitting), but I do think there is a difference between Tips on how to use Scr. as a program and Usage Scenarios on how to use it in the flow with other programs, etc. It could get a little confusing on where to put a post, but I do think I’d expect to find a different set of information in Tips&Tricks–more technical program-related how-to information. Where I’d go to try to find out how to do something in Scr.

In Usage Scenarios, I’d expect to find more out-of-the-box thinking and ideas on how Scr. can be used in the wholeness of one’s writing process. If that makes sense!

I don’t know if we really need these fine distinctions to be so heavily separated. If we have both usage scenarios AND tips & tricks in a single forum, no one will get overwhelmed, or confused—even if, alex and timothy, they are distinct concepts—and people will be more encouraged to post; on the other hand another sub-forum with a handful of posts will not do as much good, and will provide a navigational function which no one really needs right now.

Okay, then how about replacing “tips & tricks” with a broader heading, like:

“Usage Scenarios: Share how you use scrivener, tips & tricks, FAQ”

The advantage is, it’s both clearer and broader. To me at least. :slight_smile:

No, no, they will get confused and life as we know it will cease! :slight_smile: Good suggestion about a broader heading which could include Tips and FAQs. That would certainly work for me. And it would cut down on having so many different threads.

I wonder if it would make it harder to find things in the thread, though, if someone is looking for how-to stuff? Of course, there is always the magic ‘search’ feature one could use to find such things. :slight_smile:

I think that you are on to something. I do believe that grouping both subjects together is a bit broader than the cognitive framework employed by most.

I find navigating Devon’s forum much more effective with the break-out initially suggested (separate “Tips” and “Usage” headings).

Also, some folks seem to like the tips and tricks forum for simply listing tips/tricks versus the questions and oft lengthy discussion threads that may develop from posted usage scenarios.

Two separate forum topics is a better idea, IMO.

Why not use this thread name “The Zen of Scrivener” for the usage category?

It seems an appropriate umbrella under which to discuss all the different paths we are exploring using scrivener.

Damn good point Pipibluestockin. I like it weary much. :slight_smile: