There are no writers

“An incompetent writer can still produce great works” Colin Wilson

If I understand Wilson correctly he claims that you should only write if you have something to say. Having something to say is much more importand than being able to write. If this is so, then there are no writers, just people having important things to say. Hmm?? :confused:

In contrast, I’m very wary of people who write “because they have important things to say.” I’m just a storyteller, and IMO the best writers are too.

Katherine

Every time I see the word “just” I want to take my scalpel and cut it out. You’re a storyteller Katherine, there’s nothing “just” about it. :smiley:

Not all writers write stories! I would in contrast be very wary of an archaeologist author that had nothing to say.

But more to the point: What are you doing with a scalpel!

Cutting of unnecessary entities. I always carry a pen a, notebook and a scalpel with me. Honest.

He is the Ockham of Fleet Street.

I am actually a Typer. My handwriting is atrocious so illegible I cannot even read it. I think I was meant to be a doctor based on my handwriting but never pursued that career path…

oh well
:slight_smile:

:open_mouth: :open_mouth:

[size=150]Hallelujah!!![/size] Praise be to whoever is keeping an eye on us all!! Ahmen!

Hmm, what do I make of this? :confused:

Human mind likes stories. They are easy to understand and can point beyond themselves. Even though much can be said with a story not everything can be best said with a story. Or could it? And even if could we would soon be fed up with stories and search relief somewhere else. Myself I often prefer books with stories and more philosophical reasoning mixed. “Zen and art of motorcycle maintenance” and “Nurtured by love” come to mind. But there are other books like Polya’s “How to solve it” that are gems and that would not benefit by changing them into stories.

Babble, babble. I’m just spinning round without going anywhere. I know. So I’ll stop.

Stop spinning Bob, youll just make yourself light headed and dithery. I dont think we could cope with a dithery bobueland!

I was only enquiring as to whether Jaysen would be happier as a storyteller… as in the oral tradition for example. Rather than taking on all the hassle of becoming a storytelling writer. Nothing more :slight_smile:

I imagine it`s a delightful experience, having a group of friends, sat around, glued to your every word and being enthralled by them. I wish I had a gift like that.

Take care
vic

But what about your friends under the table at the Red Lion? Surely they must be riveted by your stories? I know we, here at the L&L-forum, are. :smiley:

Best,
Magnus

Magnus,
You are a Gentleman and a scholar, possessed of a charitable disposition. I thank you for your kind words. :slight_smile:

As for the rabidly degenerate perverted illiteratie, that frequent floor level of the Red Lion, all theyre interested in, is gratuitous sex and violence :open_mouth: [size=50]actually, when you think about it, that could be a description of a good few of Scrivs crew. It wouldnt surprise me , if there was a cacophonous, "Whats wrong with gratuitous sex and violence?"[/size]

In Conrads Heart of Darkness, what I found most gripping, more than any of the wretchedness and horror, recounted by Marlow, was the way Conrad, through his narrater, sets up and describes the opening scene aboard the Nellie, moored at Gravesend on the Thames. Five men sat around the deck, twixt dusk and darkness, listening to a story, nothing more. Whenever Ive read it, I`ve always ended up, sat on deck with them.

To be able to write good stories, is a different art form, than being able to effectively articulate them. Each, done well, must be extremely satisfying, but they are different. Are they not?

Take care
Vic

I thank you for your kind words.

I’m sure they are. But, at the same time related. Last year or the year before, Arnaldur Indridasson, the icelandic crimewriter won the prestigous Golden Dagger award and could it it be a coincidence that the people of Iceland has a very strong storytelling tradition?
I see before me a host of people gathered around a roaring fire and an articulate storyteller (in the Red Lion perhaps?) telling stories that captivates them. And this skill is passed on from generation to generation until someone, someday takes this knowledge and uses it and writes his own story.

Vic-k, you inspire me!

Thank you.

Magnus,
The above is the scene I envisaged as I was writing earlier. It has to be a storyteller, and not an author or poet reading from their own work. Most, not all, but most authors and poets always sound like Apple Voices. Usually they dont articulate well. And they most certainly lack the mystique of the olde word Storyteller. Of course Im not saying one cant be the other, or that the two disciplines dont or wont, impact on each other.

A reasonable analogy, I think, is the author as script writer, and the storyteller as actor/performer. But! Once again, Im not saying that one person cant be author/scriptwriter, storyteller/actor/performer. However these two disciplines are not interdependent. They exist in their own right, and deliver a totally different end user experience. That`s my take on it, anyway

Storytellers, can be illiterate, but they are never inarticulate, in the language and practice of their craft. As far as the oral storytelling tradition goes, I believe the messenger is as influential as the message, or if you like, the singer is as important as the song.

You`re very generous with your praise, Thank You
Take care
vic

vic-k’s friend under the table at the Red Lion?! The very idea gives me the willies.

–Greg

P.S. What is wrong with gratuitous sex and violence is that it is gratuitous. Even I knew the answer to that one.

…gerrorff wid y. :slight_smile: Y dont really mean that!!...y just pulling my leg…trying to wind me up :laughing: :laughing:

When you say “storyteller” I suppose you mean orator. Because you can tell a story in writing, but also as a speaker. Joseph Campbell was a great orator. When I first saw him on video, being interviewed by Bill Moyers, he blew my mind apart. Reading his books was not that great experience. I will not say that he writes bad, but it can’t be compared to the way he speaks. I have a friend that has written several books about programming business. He is fantastic with the written word. But as an orator his terrible, and he admits it. Myself, I like being on stage. It feels like home. Have given hundreds of seminars. When it comes to the written word I’m no good, but I have the decency not to tell it to myself, and what’s more I seldom listen to what I’m saying to myself anyway. :wink: