"There was a problem saving the project."

I get this message with only one of my projects, when using it with the 1.08 Scrivener beta. Other projects have given me no trouble. I have recently switched to the Leopard beta; I was not getting this message with Tiger. The Console doesn’t display anything when this happens. Neither command-S nor autosave works.

What’s going on?

Aha! It’s due to permissions!

I copied everything from the .scriv package into a folder. I changed the folder permissions so that I had read and write, and applied that privilege change to everything within the folder. I then deleted the contents of the .scriv file – I had to enter my password owing to the screwed up permissions – and copied everything back into the .scriv file. It works … for now. I hope this doesn’t happen again. If so, perhaps I can try simply working always as the root administrator. Flawed permissions would all crumble then, surely!

Permissions indeed… If this error appears it is because the OS X file system is telling Scrivener that it can’t write to disk - which is either because of permissions or lack of disk space. You can change the permissions of the whole package using Finder’s Get Info, though, I believe (checking “Apply to contents” or whatever its called).
Best,
Keith

Unfortunately it’s impossible to “apply to enclosed” with a package, even in Leopard. I had been hoping they would have fixed this from Tiger. My workaround, again, is to convert to a folder by deleting the “.scriv,” and then convert back after applying the mass permissions change.

Oops - sorry, didn’t realise.
Best,
Keith