Thoughts on Comprehensive Formatting

I understand that Scrivener’s focus is researching, editing, designing, and organizing a project.

I also understand what a can of worms comprehensive formatting is (and by “comprehensive formatting,” I mean formatting a completed document such that no touch-up is necessary via Word or Sigil or HTML editing). Once you start worrying about gutter margins, pagination, left and right pages, separate headers for different chapters, etc. you could end up doubling the size of your application.

But here are two reasons to think about some extra features in formatting.

1. 100% of your customers need to do some formatting. As indie publishing gets more popular, many of them will need to create multiple versions of a book.

In an ideal world, the user would write his or her book, then simply compile for MOBI, ePub, and CreateSpace with three clicks of a button.

1. As I expected, I am often coming up with “one more change or correction” after creating a proof, and I have to go through a bit of extra work each time that happens. Instead of fix the typo and recompile, I must fix it, recompile, center 43 photo paragraphs, fix bolding, and fix photo widths. It’s not a big deal, but sometimes I end up doing it four times in one day. (I realize now that I could have avoided much of this if I had gone with As Is formatting.)

Just something for you to think about.