three chapters lost on scrivener

I added three new chapters to a novel, compiled the finished product as a .epub and .mobi and then saved the Scrivener ms before closing the program. The chapters are still on the compiled list but have disappeared from the scrivener project. How do I recover them? where did they go?
As you’ll see from the attachments…one is the list of ‘missing’ chapters, as they appear in a Kindle list of contents; the other is the Scrivener project contents list where they are missingkindlecon.jpgscrivcon.jpg

The first place to look would be in Scrivener’s automatic backups, which can be found by going to Scrivener -> Preferences -> Backups and selecting the option to open the Backup folder in Finder.

Without more information, it’s difficult to say what might have happened. “Missing” material is usually due to one of the following causes:

  • The project was saved under a new name, usually using the Save As command, and then the user opened the old version. The missing material can be found in the new version. Use the Mac’s Spotlight search command to find all Scrivener projects on your system.

  • A synchronization conflict occurred when using Dropbox or a similar service. The missing material is still present in the project, but the metadata that allows Scrivener to find it is damaged. Or, alternatively, only one version of the synchronized project has the material. A general procedure for recovering from synchronization errors can be found here:
    https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/copy-without-annotations-footnotes/161/1

  • The missing files were inadvertently moved to the project Trash, and can be found and restored from there.

  • The project was otherwise damaged in some way, perhaps by a Scrivener or system crash, sometimes by misguided third-party utilities. Often, the files can be found by looking through the project manually, as described in the Dropbox recovery procedure, or can be restored from a backup.

I hope this helps,

Katherine

Thank you for your reply, Katherine. Unfortunately, since Scrivener only keeps five backups (by default) it was too late to recover by the time I read it. I did have the three chapters but only in the .mobi and .epub formats so I simply, rewrote them from these. I’m still at a loss to discover what happened to them.
I expect small problems to crop up and I’ve overcome most of them to date. Scrivener may be all the wonderful things people say it is and God knows, it certainly makes an effort to achieve those aspirations, but it can also be outrageously tedious.
I published a book of short stories two years ago and used Scrivener to publish it successfully on a variety of platforms. I wrote the manuscript on Word for Mac and then imported those files to Scrivener.
This time round, I’ve used Scrivener to write and house my entire manuscript. Unfortunately, I forgot to add page numbers and now I find I can’t, as the auto-number facility appears to be entirely redundant.
I did try to find ‘adding page numbers’ through Scrivener Help and Scrivener tutorial but all to no avail. I think I’ll go insane before this project is finished :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Scrivener has done it again. With absolutely no prompting from me, it decided to revert to a three day old version of the project I was working on, discarding recently transcribed chapters along the way (again). Luckily, this time I did know about the back up trick and found the updated project which should have been saved and presented itself as the most recent project (since its name hadn’t changed). This is becoming annoying. I’m trying to sync my project to my ipad. I did that two months ago but since then, those files just disappeared (right before my eyes) from my Textilus file on my ipad. Now it won’t sync the files from Scrivener even though I’ve followed all the procedures described. :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :smiling_imp: :unamused:

I’m afraid I’m not able to offer any assistance with Textilus, but twice losing data from your Scrivener project is definitely indicative of a problem somewhere.

I would suggest temporarily disabling Scrivener’s External Folder synchronization, and working through the procedure for correcting synchronization errors that I linked in my last post.

Once you’ve done that, it wouldn’t be a bad idea to “reset” the Textilus link, by removing your existing external synchronization folder and starting fresh. (Obviously making sure that you’ve recovered any material you need from the folder, first.)

Katherine

Thanks, again, Katherine. Your help, in the first instance, has proved invaluable and, even though I transcribed the original (lost) chapters, I found them again, thanks to your help re backup. Since then I’ve been at pains to make at least three savings and backups of everything I write even though this seems just a waste of time, however valuable.