Three Suggestions

I’ve been using the Windows Scrivener for little while now, and I have some suggestions:

1. It’d be nice to be able to clear out what’s inside the search results tab. Right now, I can only replace the existing results with a new search. Which is annoying. Also, I should be able to inspect the contents without suddenly being switched out of what I’m working on: the program “clicks” on the first search result automatically with no help from me.
    a. It might also be helpful to make the shape of the binder/search results tabs different from the others, perhaps by giving one or the other rounded corners.
  2. I’m very finicky about accidentally deleting my writing. The ability to set items read-only (preventing them from being moved in the tree as well as changed) would ease my mind considerably.
  3. I can see no easy way to remove items from a collection without deleting the entire collection.
  1. Keith would have to comment on that. Usually the duplicate command works well enough for this sort of thing though. With the tab appearance, are you having troubles differentiating them quickly, is that the problem? You could try just keeping them at the very bottom of the stack so they are always close to the content area of the sidebar.
  2. I’d say, try Snapshots. They are read only, and they give you the freedom to go back to an older state of the document at any point in the future. It’s a good habit to form to just snapshot whenever you are done editing; or whenever you start—whichever is easiest.
  3. Shift-Del should be working; same as the shortcut for moving an item to the trash from the binder. In this case is just removes it from the collection though. We’ll get a secondary - button in there, above the content area of the sidebar, too. That should make a more intuitive route. Also, I think right-click “Move to Trash” is rather uninformatively doing the same thing. That should be fixed, I’ll make a note of it.
  1. Keith would have to comment on that. Usually the duplicate command works well enough for this sort of thing though. With the tab appearance, are you having troubles differentiating them quickly, is that the problem? You could try just keeping them at the very bottom of the stack so they are always close to the content area of the sidebar.
  2. I’d say, try Snapshots. They are read only, and they give you the freedom to go back to an older state of the document at any point in the future. It’s a good habit to form to just snapshot whenever you are done editing; or whenever you start—whichever is easiest.
  3. Shift-Del should be working; same as the shortcut for moving an item to the trash from the binder. In this case is just removes it from the collection though. We’ll get a secondary - button in there, above the content area of the sidebar, too. That should make a more intuitive route. Also, I think right-click “Move to Trash” is rather uninformatively doing the same thing. That should be fixed, I’ll make a note of it.