Tilda's ~

Hi. I’m new here and wonder if someone can help me, please? I am using tilda’s, do I have to use the control/command/spacebar on my Macbook keyboard? Or is there another way to do this through Scrivener? I ask this because using the control/command/spacebar gives me a different/larger type than the Scrivener text. So it looks funny. Viñales, that looks fine, but it’s looks larger/different in Scrivener.
Mucho thanks.
Wixxy.

Welcome to Scrivener and the forum, Wixxy.

Have you tried the Mac technique of holding the “n” key down when you press it? For me, a couple of numbered n’s with accents - one of them with a tilde - appear above the “n” I’ve just typed, like this: “ñ” (and also “ń”). I can choose the “ñ”, and that appears to me to be the correct size in Scrivener. (Presumably, this technique relies upon the font I’m using having special characters including the tilde attached to letters; your fonts may vary.) For what it’s worth, for me this works for other letters and other accents too e.g. è, é, ê, ë, ô, œ etc etc.

Hi

I think Hugh means the “alt” (option) key? It’s the standard Apple key for all accents. For example, alt+e = é á í etc, alt+u = ü ï etc, alt+i = î ô etc, alt+` = è, alt+0 = º, alt+g = ©, alt+r = ®, and so on. The one you need to remember is alt+n which will turn manana into mañana.

Actually ScriverTid this is a feature of OS X since at least Lion. You can either have keys repeat normally on long press or bring up an alternative character panel, depending on your needs (by default it is ON I believe); I turn it off as I prefer using alt/⌥ key — also just to remove confusion using the ALT key requires TWO taps — [⌥ + n] + n = ñ

lifehacker.com/5826055/make-your … -os-x-lion

Using the Terminal you can turn this behaviour on and off — turned OFF using:

defaults write -g ApplePressAndHoldEnabled -bool false

…and turned ON using:

defaults write -g ApplePressAndHoldEnabled -bool true

As for Wixxy’s problem, I can’t really see how either method changes the font size? Unless you are using a custom font that doesn’t support ñ õ and you get a font substitution which would be highly unusual…

Thank you all so much. I’m sorted. It’s easy when you know how.
Wixxy.

Yes, I just remembered that when I upgraded from Snow Leopard to Mavericks, I thought something had broken as no letter would repeat if I held it down. When I discovered the “enhancement”, I turned it off and remembered the new motto of Tim Cook and Jonny Ive : “If it ain’t broke, we can fix it…”. Now I continue to use the traditional alt key approach, which has worked well since 1984.

As to the larger font size, yes that is a puzzler. I’d suggest Wixxy check all keyboard shortcuts - first in Scrivener, then in the Keyboard pane of System Preferences. It may be that a shortcut intended for another particular application has been set to “all applications” in error?

The answer to Wixxy is that if you call up the “Show Emoji and Symbols” dialog, which is what Ctrl-Cmd-spacebar does, the character displayed is in the system font; if you choose the character on the display from the main pane with only one click, you can scroll the right column down below the version shown, past the “Related Characters” display—though to me that is new to Sierra 10.12 … I don’t remember it there before—and the window displays all the variants available in all the fonts you have on your system. If you click on one of them it tells you what font you are looking at, but you have to find the one you want by trial and error. That’s only useful for really odd glyphs that you need on special occasions; otherwise for something like ñ it’s best to use the “Opt-character” system.

If you open the keyboard viewer, all the combining diacritics and their placement on the keyboard are highlighted in orange as you hold down the Opt key.

Mark

Yes, that’s there in Mavericks too (though the menu item is called “Special Characters…”). Also, the little gearwheel top left has a drop down menu where you can select character size from different options - if ‘Large’ has been clicked, perhaps that’s what it stays as until clicked again, and that’s why the font suddenly jumps to a larger size? Just a thought…

The symbols dialog is one of my all-time favourite parts of macOS. So much functionality crammed into such a small UI, and all those lovely unicode tables to scroll through…

Ha, you should see what Cook and Co. have reduced it to by default, these days though. It’s an emoticon picker like in a chat program—no matter what you are doing it assumes you are chatting I guess. Fortunately you can click that button next to the search field to get the good stuff back, otherwise I’d be looking for third-party Unicode browsers! (And yes that would be a shame, because the above is the best character browser I’ve ever used.)