Timeline with Excel

I am writing a Detective/spy thingy. Two plots and a lot of stuff happening. Disappointing that there is no time line tool in Scrivener (not a criticism… just a whinge)
Thankfully my background is in business, so I can use excel. I just thought I would post the time line I am using for the first half of my book as it stands today.
I just use coloured cells.
I do know some others use cork board cards, but I find that they don’t give me a sense of time passing and getting things ordered.

Nice use of Excel to lay out a timeline. :bulb:
I’m an MS-phobe, but guess
I could do the same in Google Sheets.

Just curious: what do the three blocks in each day mean?
Morning, noon, night?

Well done! Excel is a wonderful tool. The combination of extensive analytical and manipulative functionality with what amounts to a database is a winner.

Before software tools specifically designed to assist long-form writing started to proliferate, there were to be found on the Internet all kinds of templates for Excel that could be of use to writers. I seem to remember someone once claiming that they’d written an entire novel with it.

Reminds me of Gantt chart - used in project planning. I have done many of those for various projects but had not thought of using one as a novel timeline!

Have you had a look at Aeon Timeline? Developed by a Scrivener user; integrates with Scrivener — on the Mac, Windows integration actively in development thanks to features included in Scrivener 1.7; allows custom and fantasy calendars …

scribblecode.com/

Disclaimer: I’m not a member of the Lit&Lat team, nor of the Scribblecode team, just a long-term, regular user of Scrivener and a very occasional user of Aeon Timeline.

Mr X

Yes indeed.

Yes I have . It’s very slick and beautiful. I didn’t baulk at the money but felt it was a bit of overkill and the compactness of the way Excel or other spreadsheets can be used, as I have here, gives ‘me’ a better grasp in my head of the progress of the story.

Well there is ‘Numbers’ on our Macs :laughing: … I am using Excel for no reason other than I had it to hand. I also have Numbers here somewhere. And as you correctly say there is Google Docs. Everyone who sets up a Google account can go in there and create and store spreadsheets for free that can be accessed from any computer running a browser.

Minor correction:
I referred to Google Sheets, the free spreadsheet app.
Google Docs is the free word-processing program.

Actually :laughing: Google docs was what is now known as Google Drive and referred to the suite of apps including the word processor and the spreadsheet, which is indeed referred to as Google Sheets :blush:

(just a bit of fun)