Tip: maximizing usable screen space

(I am going to post tips here on the off chance that they may help someone else)

I like work in Optima 13 on a page of about 6.5" wide—this allows me to easily read my drafts and get an idea of the size of the part I am working on. To save screen space, I like to set up my column so it is “just wide enough” with nearly no white space on either side.

So here is what I do.

• On a small screen I set the magnification to 90%, on a big screen 100% or 110% (since I sit farther from the screen).
  • I then fiddle with my columns until they are “just wide enough” and save the setting in in View > Layout > Layouts (command-shift-0)
  • Go to Page Setup > Scrivener and set the left margin to 0.2 inches (0.5 cm) and the right to 1.8 inches (4.5 cm). Now, every time you click on a document in the binder, it shows with a skinny left margin and the wide right margin cut off under the right side of the panel.
  • Now go to your compile settings and use Page Settings to restore a 1" left margin on export.

I suspect you could set up a custom page size in Page Setup and get even better results, but I haven’t played around with this yet.

Alan