Title Headers in the scrivener view

I’m new to Scrivener and must say that my first impressions are good!

I love the fact that I can use the corkboard to create new documents or folders to organise my document and make is managable to use.

I have gotten past the issues I had with hierarchical automatic numbering (which it disappointingly only numbers when compiling) but have one gripe: :confused:

In the compile I can choose to use my title names (at different levels) as chapter headings (together with hierarchical automatic numbering) - cool! By this logic, I would therefore not manually enter chapternames for each document - otherwise they would be printed twice.

In the scrivener overview when selecting multiple documents and folders, it would be FANTASTIC if the title of the document or folder was displayed on or under the line seperator between the documents and/or folders. This would at least allow me to see in the overview where I’m at, roughly what the end result will look like (without having to compile) and prevent me from clicking in each segment to see where it belongs… This would make scrivener more dynamic :slight_smile:

I would like to know what everyone thinks of this small suggestion! :smiley:

Hi,

Welcome aboard and thanks for the kind words.

Not over it so much that it doesn’t trigger double asterisks though, eh? :slight_smile: There are very sound technical reasons for this - unlike a word processor where you are working with a single document, the components of a draft in Scrivener are spread across multiple files, which can have “Include in Compile” turned on or off, so calculating live numbers would be slow and error-prone.

They may think that you will be made happy by going to View > Editor > Show Titles in Scrivenings. :slight_smile:

All the best,
Keith

Awesoooommmmeee !! (Dunno if you have ever seen Bolt and the overzealous gerbal and his take on ‘Awwweessoommmee’, but that’s what I’m doing right now!)

Thanks for the quick answer! :slight_smile:

Keith did add tags for alphabetical outline numbering in the betas, so you could download that and try it out. You’ll need to create the hierarchy yourself using the <$rst> tag, but it’s easy to do so you can get, e.g., Section A, subsections a, b, c; Section B, subsections a & b, etc.

EDIT:…however, I realize now that that is completely not what you are talking about. So…never mind. Augh. I need to learn to stop posting before I have my morning caffeine!