Title headings for one or more text objects

Hullo, apologies for asking a silly question: I’ve started my writing with an introduction, and I’d like this to be shown as the ‘title’ for the page, the next text object to be chapter 1.

Is there a way to remove a text object when compiling from getting an automatic title, but to otherwise automatically title the other text objects?

Sort of :

Title page
Prologue/Intro
Chapter 1

And so on.

Many thanks.

Hi,

Not a silly question at all. Assuming you’re using version 2.0, there are a couple of options:

1. Check “Preserve Formatting” in the inspector for the items you don’t want a title added in Compile. “Preserve Formatting” has the effect of having the document printed or exported in Compile exactly as-is - the font doesn’t change, and no title or other elements get added.

2. If you want the font overridden in Compile, though, you can use the hierarchy to determine which ones should have titles added and which shouldn’t. So, you could have it look something like this:

- Draft
  - Introduction Text Doc
  - Chapters Folder
    - Chapter One Text Doc
    - Etc

Then, in the “Formatting” pane of the Compile sheet, set it so that text documents at the first level don’t have a title added, but text documents on subsequent levels do. Perhaps the best way to see what I mean is to take a look at the APA template or one of the other academic formats - they use hierarchy and “Formatting” options to have an introduction with no automatic title, just like you’re after.

Hope that helps.

All the best,
Keith