Title in editor header bar is too small

The titles for text elements are 4 point font and it won’t let me change the font in the format bar. Why is it not editable? What’s the point of styles if you can’t use them.

You are showing a screenshot of the header bar, where there is an editable field for changing the binder item title itself. It is not an element of the text editor, nor would it have anything to do with styles.

I’m actually not sure how to change that, as they have yet to add the necessary setting to the Appearance: Main Editor: Fonts tab. Perhaps it is coming from another setting, is anything else in the UI that small?

Looks like one of those infamous Windows HiDPI scaling problems to me, e.g. this specific Qt component doesn’t play nice with the overall “zoom level” of the desktop.

The super tiny font size is in random places throughout scriviner. Like the backup directory in configuration is small. The font for folders is larger then the tiny 4 point font for text files.

I’ll have to try a reboot after I get home from filtering my blood. I have a 4k monitor and a 120" projector and it’s even small on that if you’re not close enough. I don’t remember what my scaling is. Maybe 200%.

Oof, yeah if that’s the case you might be stuck with having to play with the overall global font zoom settings in Windows to correct for it, which may not be desirable. It looks perfectly normal on standard res—same size font as the format bar above it.

After a reboot, it’s in 9 point Segoe UI. I have never in my life chosen Segoe UI as a font. So I don’t know where it comes from and never heard of this font before scrivener 3.

At least it’s way more readable at 9pt. I still have no way to edit the font for text titles. Who knows when that will just randomly change again. Hopefully, reboots will fix the problem if it reoccurs.

After a reboot, it’s in 9 point Segoe UI. I have never in my life chosen Segoe UI as a font. So I don’t know where it comes from and never heard of this font before scrivener 3.

To reiterate, the title field is a piece of interface, like the font used to print collection names in the tab list or the actual text itself in the Format Bar that prints the word “Segoe UI”. You are referring to what the format bar prints, which is a tool that manipulates how text is formatted in the text editor. I understand the confusion though, because when the format bar is not linked to the editor it reverts to showing the underlying system default font setting. Try, for example, clicking into the Synopsis card area of the inspector’s Notes pane, and you will see the same result, despite likely not actually using Segoe for your index cards. Thus: if the format bar is disabled, then whatever it prints as a fallback is useless information that we can ignore.

Here is the Wikipedia article for Segoe. We can see that this “UI” variant is an interface font used and provided by Microsoft for creating software interfaces. So it would make sense to see that as deep underlying default font then.

Knowing that, it’s very likely the header bar font is Segoe UI, since it cannot be modified, and thus is a stock part of the UI like the menu bar labels, footer bar statistics text and so forth. But even if so, it is happenstance that the format bar shows that font, for all of the above reasons.

2 Likes