To be able to import export a word document and its styles.

I know this is kind of possible, but not really.

I wan’t to be able to import a word document and get all the styles created in my compilation settings, so when I compile a document, styles are compiled into the word document as well.

The reason for this is that I love to write in Scrivener, and I use it to write documentation etc for the software I develop because I am not a fan of Microsoft word, but the final documents have to be compiled into word, so I need to be able to keep style information in the final compiled document.

But styles are not a part of Scrivener.

This is true, but it’s also very easy to rectify in Word. In my experience, you can clean up a compiled document to a fully stylesheet driven document in a matter of minutes. Thirty minutes would be typical for a complex document. For a simple document that is primarily body text and has one or two levels of headings, maybe a few block quotes here and there—five minutes tops.

All you need to do is make sure everything is distinctly formatted in the compile settings. A “Chapter” header should look different from a “section” header, if there is a distinction. Some people actually like to use garish formatting at this phase because that helps in locating special ranges. A bright red 24pt paragraph is easier to spot than something that already looks almost like a block quote, for instance. The key thing is that the appearance of what you output from Scrivener doesn’t matter one bit. All of that will be normalised when stylesheets are applied anyway, so you might as well make your job easier by using visually distinctive formatting.

Then what you need to do is in Word put the cursor down in each distinct type of formatting, and right-click. Use the Style contextual menu to select all other pieces of text with the same formatting. All right, now you’ve got every single “Chapter” line highlighted in Word, so at that point all you need to do is hit the “Heading 1” style assignment and you’re done. Every chapter line that Scrivener output is now a fluid “Heading 1”. Proceed down the list for each discrete type and that’s it!

So I guess ultimately what I’m saying is: sure, yes it would be awesome if Scrivener did the wiring for you. But given that there is no “plumbing” for that anywhere in the text engine, it would be an enormous project to pull off, and also given that it requires of a user 5 to 30 minutes in Word after six months of writing in Scrivener—well the pay-off just isn’t there. It’s definitely way up in the diminishing returns band in terms of where development time can be spent.