to scrivening all

I may have uncovered a bug or so in the latest 1.9.

I was just trying to improve my knowledge of scrivenings, and ran across an article suggesting using it to correct odd formatting between suggestions.

It suggested to enter Scrivenings mode, then select text documents you want to see together (in this case two or three adjacent ones), and then hit Cntl-A to select all the texts together. Then format them all, removing whatever the problem was.

I found, though, that:

• you can’t enter Scrivenings mode in Windows Scrivener until you have more than one document selected.
  • selecting a folder with multiple documents in it doesn’t do that - you have to select the documents. At least at top level, but it worries me about selecting continuous text divided into folders.
  • and then, when you have several adjacent documents selected, and have entered Scrivenings mode from the View menu (as there is no button), you cannot select all the text, except maybe by sleight of hand.
  • to continue on this, if you try Cntl-A in the usual fashion, or Select All from the Edit menu, you only select all of the current text, between the dashed lines. Trying to extend this with more Cntl-A or Shift-Mouse gets you very little satisfaction - only small added areas within what’s visible, so that trying to select a long text in toto would be a nightmare if even possible.

What am I missing here, if there are not one or two regressions?

Thanks, and as I am getting into some heavy use a-coming…

That’s a feature of Mac v. 2 that hasn’t made it across to Windows yet.

Sorry for the bad news. :frowning:

Mr X

Yeah, that’s an unfortunate limitation to the implementation of the editor they went with. It’s my understanding that they’ll have to completely reprogram that part of Scrivener for Windows in order to make Scrivenings work more like it does on the Mac version.

The good news is that if you set up your font & paragraph settings in Tools->Options->Editor, then you can make a selection of text documents in the binder and use the Documents->Convert->Formatting to Default Text Style menu to apply your settings to those files.

Thanks, guys, for the framing and the tip.

Work can be done…

C.

And it’s my understanding, though I may be wrong, that the reprogramming is being done for v. 3 — I also understand there’ll be no v. 2 for Windows as they want to get the version numbering matched up with the Mac — but don’t bother to enquire when that will be out as their lips are sealed!

:slight_smile:

Mr X

I missed this part on my first reading of your post. I’m not sure what’s going on here, but you absolutely should be able to enter Scrivenings mode and see the contents of all the documents indented under (or “in”) a folder by selecting that folder. You might have to click the Scrivenings mode button in the toolbars twice; since folders can be (metaphorically) written on, having their own text aside from the text of documents they contain, the Scrivenings button toggles between showing the text area of the folder and showing the text of all documents it contains.

rdale, thanks, and this is true, as well as sensible by your explanation.

I didn’t see where to turn off the dashed lines breaking up sections; the documentation may be say that to do this is only a Mac feature at present.

Anyway, it usefully works, and hopefully becomes as nice as the Mac version in future. Sometimes I am tempted to do a Hackintosh VM…if they were legal.