TOC printing...weird...

Hello all,

I am almost ready to send my dad’s poetry book off to the printer, and I have ONE glitch left that I can’t seem to fix or find info on fixing.

I did the slick “copy special” thing to generate a TOC (super slick! Love it!) and got a beautiful TOC with the poems inset from the year ‘chapter’ markers - perfect.

However, when I export to PDF, it shows up completely weird. Please see attached screenshots. I’ve tried playing with the tabs and spacing as per some other suggestions, but it doesn’t seem to work for me.

I figured worst case scenario I could simply type …<page#>, but the spacing ends up wonky as well, so even when they line up in the TOC page in Scrivener, they are slightly out of alignment in the pdf.

Any genius solutions gratefully accepted! :slight_smile:

There are two things to be aware of that can mess up the formatting of this section:

  1. If the ToC was copied prior to adjusting the printer settings, or selecting a compile format that uses a built-in paper size (like the Paperback does), then the various tab stops it set will be off the page. This can cause the dashed score lines to disappear and the page number markers to fall onto a second line.

The best way to check for this is to use the View ▸ Text Editing ▸ Show Page View command, which will do a pretty good approximation (for this purpose) of what will fit in the current paper + margin settings. If it looks messed up there, it will likely be messed up in the PDF as well.

  1. If that looks fine, then the second thing that can mess it up is if the Section Type the ToC is assigned to is one that you have set up to use a Layout (in the compile overview screen) that overwrites paragraph formatting. Since it depends upon those tab stops and indents to display properly. A common result here is that all indent levels will be lost and while the dashed score will remain, it will be very short and the page numbers will not be flush right.

To fix that, you first need a Section Type in your project that is designed for stuff like this:

[list=1][*] Go to Project ▸ Project Settings… and in the Section Types pane, add a new type. Maybe call it “Contents”. Save your changes.

  1. Next, right-click on the ToC item in the binder and use the contextual menu to assign its Section Type to the new one you created.
  2. Back in Compile, take a look at the preview column. What you want to see is a tile labelled “Contents” that is using something with placeholder text stating something along the lines of the text formatting being based on what is in the editor. By default, newly created Section Types will be automatically assigned to the “As-Is” built-in Layout, so it should be okay.
    [/*:m][/list:o]

That will be the easiest approach, but there are many others you could take, if you do want the compiler to handle the font of the ToC, insert a heading, or ensure there is a page break before the ToC.

Amber - amazing!!! Option 2 was the fix. I had no idea I could add that in preview. I’m loving what I can do with Scrivener…and I feel like I’m an undergrad and I need a PhD in Scrivener to use it properly, ha.

THANK YOU for taking the time to write this out and help me sort this. Here’s hoping it will save a few more undergrads down the line…

Yours in finally-compiled-and-done, holy crap!,

Col

Good luck to you and, especially, your dad.

Slàinte mhòr.

Thanks, JoRo, I appreciate your time and expertise - you’ve been fantastically helpful! And I know the relatives and folks in my hometown are looking forward to this book, so it’s great to have it print-ready. I think my dad would have liked what I’ve done with his work as well.

Glad to hear it is working well now. :slight_smile:

Your dad “would have liked”. So sorry if I have offended or misspoken or mistimed my earlier comment in any way. My sympathies and thoughts are with you.

I am sure he’d be very proud and thankful.

Slàinte mhòr.

It is, Amber, thank you!

And JoRo, no apologies necessary. Your response was very thoughtful, and accurate: the kudos for the work go to him; I’m just the monkey with the typewriter making it look good. :slight_smile: And although I certainly wish he were here to see it, editing almost 200 of his poems has helped me understand him in a whole new way. So thank you again for your help in getting this to print.