TOC Table of Contents, Scrivener Style

Hi folks,

I think I understand how Scrivener does TOCs but, it is so different from how Pages or Word does TOC’s, I wanted to post here just to confirm to make certain that I am not missing anything here. It looks like Scriveners designer’s intent is that you only are going to want to create a TOC after you have written your book. The TOC mechanism is therefore found only in the compile feature in Scrivener.

I started writing this document in Pages and as it has grown larger and as it is getting unwieldy, I have just moved it over to Scrivener. Unfortunately, the TOC I already have in Pages which is also similar to Word does not seem to have a counter part method in Scrivener. Standard TOC means that you label your leaders, sub headers, etc. And then you have the document set up, a TOC which it quickly does by following your labels.

I like this style of creating TOCs for two important reasons, First, it updates the TOC as I write. Once it is set up, and I am following the correct labeling of the parts, the TOC updates as I write. And second and most important is that my TOC helps me as a writer to keep track of what I have already written.

Is there anything here as I have described it that I have missed? If I want to keep a live TOC must I remain in Pages or Word? I am finally embracing Scrivener. It certainly has very nice tools. But, it is also very important that I stay aware of where I am in my document as I am writing and editing it.

Thanks.

That is what the Binder and the Outliner are for. They each contain far richer information and functionality than a TOC. You can change the icons for different contents, show sub-document counts, expand/collapse sections as necessary, view “filtered” versions based on metadata etc. etc. You can set “draft” status for each document, show individual word counts and cumulative word counts of parent folders. The TOC is a very poor brother in comparison; and even in Word at least, the navigation pane and outliner are IMO better project overview / navigation tools.

What nontroppo said.

Scrivener’s TOC is part of the final presentation of your book. That’s why it goes at the end of the process, along with normalizing formatting, setting up headers and footers, and similar tasks. Scrivener’s entire philosophy is that writing and presentation are separate tasks, best handled by different tools.

Tasks related to the actual writing of the book – planning, outlining, monitoring progress, reorganizing – are much too important to be trusted to as limited a tool as the TOC. Hence the Outliner, the Binder, and the large collection of metadata that both can support.

Katherine

As a visually-centered (trying-to-be-a-) writer, I use icons to label all of my Scrivener chapters, subchapters, etc.

I’d like to duplicate the same icons I use in my Scrivener binder in the text of my compiled Scrivener+LaTeX document TOC.

I’ve searched online to determine if that is even feasible and have found two possible options that may or may not work:

1. A stackexchange reference to “Icons in Table of Contents” at https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/209149/icons-in-table-of-contents

2. A reference to the LaTeX fontawesome package at https://latexdraw.com/fontawesome-ready-icons-to-use-in-latex/ (it appears that fontawesome may be easier to implement, but the best icons appear to be by available by subscription only)

Either of the above options (if at all feasible) will take some time to implement, so I thought I’d check with L&L to see if there might be a more direct Scrivener and/or LaTeX route to include icons in my TOC than offered by either of the two above options.

Thanks,
scrive
:slight_smile: