Todoist

Does anyone know what’s happened to Todoist? It’s disappeared online along with all my notes…
Ta
Jenny

Jenny,
Don’t know the answer to your question, but that’s dreadful!
H

I appreciate your sympathy. It wouldn’t matter, except it’s elegant, but it had a reading list on it with where they were in the UL library. I’ve got the list elsewhere because of being a mistrusting and reduplicative soul. And I can look them up in the catalogue, so it’s only annoying rather than really dreadful.
Jenny

It seems to be functional at this point in time; must have been a temporary outage. I used to use Todoist as well, before I met TaskPaper, good stuff.

Yes, it’s back. Good. I can’t understand how it’s possible for things that should work not to work. Makes me lose faith in the truth of anything. If I had any.

Well, it mightn’t have even been their problem. The Internet can be flaky all by itself. There are several thousand things that need to go right every time you click on a link. Wire that must be linked up right and no trees fallen through it; routing boxes in your local ISP system; connections to major trunk lines that take your request and start pushing it across the globe, potentially even up into space and back; and then the whole thing all over again on the other side, down to the server facility; and then finally the machine itself, which might be hosting dozens of other web sites and any one of those might have crashed the server. Sometimes two computers are running just fine, but some trunkline in between them is having latency or difficulty problems and you just can’t make a connection to that specific server even if other people in different geographic locations can—consequently nobody might know that anything is wrong for a small group of people. There are just lots of things that can go wrong on the Internet before the web site itself you are looking for can be considered at fault. If you’re worried, contact the owners and see what they have to say. How they answer will probably tell you what you need to know if it is safe to continue storing your data with them.

Yes, but there’s lots of redundancy and cross-checking. After all, the system was designed to survive nuclear attack.

Right, but “it should ultimately always work” doesn’t mean “it will always work 100% of the time”. :slight_smile: What can fail in a localised way will eventually be resolved and routed around, but for a time it is possible to lose connectivity between regions. You see it happen all of the time. I frequently get reports of our .dmg not downloading. Rest of the Internet works fine, but they can’t reach the download server. I can download it, they can’t. I give them an alternate URL—they can download it. 12 hours later, they can download from the main server again.

What came up though was a warning that the site was unsafe and had no certificate or somesuch. Still, thanks Ioa, for the explanation. From now on I’m going to be astonished everytime something does work.
Jenny

Ah, okay that’s another problem. That can happen when a certificate expires and it isn’t renewed in a timely fashion, might be all it was. A site like Todoist encrypts everything coming in and out of it, and it needs an up to date certificate that is authorised by an authority in order to keep that encryption as safe as possible. More variables in the mix that can go wrong.

You and me both!

A to do app that forgot to renew its certificate. Best ad ever.

J

:smiley: