Toggle Split and Widget Suggestion

Hi, I’m new here, but I’ve been using Scrivener for awhile, and it’s just been so nice. Much better than MS-Word for novel writing.

Over time, I began to yearn for a tiny thing missing I think would be useful. I don’t know if it have been requested before, but if so, feel free to delete this thread:

Dragging Text Files to Toggle Split: I often need to view my character lists or background story notes while writing, and simply dragging the text file to the toggle split at the right side of Scrivener is intuitive to me. But simply selecting the text file at the left opens the text file in the main typing window.

I like the quickness, but maybe allowing a drag by holding the mouse button down would be better? I dunno. More preferable would be a F12 Widget-like button in Scrivener to bring up a “Favorites” text file, even in full screen, for quick reference.

Besides that tiny nitpick, Scrivener’s been perfect! Just wanted to shoot that out…back to writing…

Hi,

Thanks for the compliments on Scrivener.

I’m not 100% sure I understand your suggestion. If I understand correctly, you are asking to be able to drag files from the binder on the left into an editor in order to open them, so that you can open a document in the alternative (split) editor without clicking in it first.

If so, did you know that you can already do this by dragging the file from the binder into the header area of the editor (the bar with the title of the document at the top of the editor). This is an easy way to open files in the split editor.

Hope that helps. If I’ve misunderstood, please let me know.

All the best,
Keith

whacks forehead

Hey, thanks! Sorry for the confusing suggestion…I shouldn’t write posts 2 in the morning.