Toggle Split button is missing!

Help!

I cannot seem to find the toggle split button in the upper editor.

This is affecting the way the text is being presented. It cuts off the text at the right side for the upper editor.

Please advise urgently.

That’s very strange - it looks like the top editor is being resized incorrectly. Just to double-check, are you on the latest version of Scrivener (2.4)? And what version of OS X are you running? (I can see it’s either Lion or Mountain Lion.)

Could you please zip up and send this project to me for testing at mac.support AT literatureandlatte DOT com and mark it for my attention? Also, please let me know the size of your screen, so that I can recreate the conditions on your machine when testing.

Finally, did you open this project on a machine with a bigger screen at all, then open it on a machine with a smaller screen? (I ask because there is a known resizing bug in rare situations involving this sequence of events which I’ll be tackling shortly - but I don’t think it would cause what you are seeing.)

Thanks and all the best,
Keith

Dear Keith

This issue is driving me nuts. I am writing halfway and then I couldn’t see the text at the right…

1. Mac OS X version 10.6.8
  2. Scrivener version 2.4 (22551)
  3. iMac

I am doing this project on iMac all this while.

Please help.

Dear Keith

I just restarted the Scrivener and then everything went back to normal!

Now I could see the Toggle Split button.

I suspect it’s because I enter into Composition Mode…

I’m sorry it’s driving you nuts but I can’t really help without seeing the issue for myself - did you send me the project? Can you reproduce it at all? The issue is down to Apple’s dreadful split views, which have a tendency to resize things in odd ways in certain circumstances, and which I have to do a lot of work to keep in check. Clearly something has gone awry in your top editor. Usually closing the project and reopening the project will indeed clear the issue, but I’d still like to get to the bottom of it and find the trigger, so please let me know if you can get it to happen again. It won’t have anything to do with Composition mode, since that is a separate window, but is likely to do with closing and reopening splits or resizing the window.

Dear Keith

I can’t reproduce the problem.

But I thought long and hard on selecting the right subject to create this thread.

Could you please change the earlier title because there is a spelling error on split?

Thus, if someone encounters this, this thread shall do the trick.

Thanks so much!

I hadn’t noticed that! Could you please keep an eye out for this happening again, and let me know if you can reproduce it? There’s clearly still a split view bug lurking, but the problem is going to be finding the trigger.

Thanks and all the best,
Keith

I have the exact same problem today.
I don’t remember how it happened, so I can’t tell how to reproduce it.
If I change the split to left & right, then the button in right editor is missing.
Restarting Scrivener fixed the problem.