Toggling between MANUSCRIPT and RESEARCH

This is a WONDERFUL program. I’m using it to write both first drafts of scripts and a novel.

I’ve looked everywhere I can for a way to flip from a document I am writing, to a document stored in RESEARCH, and then back again without having to use the split screen option or (even more importantly) without memorizing which “Chapter” I’m in. If this doesn’t exist then I would most certainly find it to be a wonderful “toggle” or keyboard shortcut so there’s a a fast way to return EXACTLY to where you left the cursor in your document.

I have also posted a version of this in “Wish List” in case it doesn’t exist.

First, this is a terrific program I am using both for the first draft of TV Scripts and to write a novel. I love it.

I’ve looked everywhere I can for a way to flip from a document I am writing, to a document stored in RESEARCH, and then back again without having to use the split screen option or (even more importantly) without memorizing which “Chapter” I’m in. Does this toggle exist? Or keyboard shortcut? A fast way to check some research document and then return EXACTLY to where you left the cursor in your document?

Hello Hart,
I find that, for me, using the Show last/ next document used arrows (top left of editor screen ) works well. I simply click in the research section in binder to find what I want to view and to return quickly to my last place in editor use the appropriate arrow and then hold down Ctrl and tap the Tab key twice to get back to the editor with the cursor where I left it. There are probably other ways, but this is quick and works for me. I can view research and return quickly as many times as I wish.

Hi, Hart,

In the Mac version (and maybe in the Windows version too), the Editor pane where you see your text has a Back button. So, if you are editing a part of your draft and then click to somewhere else in the binder to see some research stuff, say, you can hit the Back button in the editor to flip back to where you were just before (and before that and before that…). Sounds pretty much like what you are looking for. (Though you should also not underestimate the goodness of using split editors for this sort of thing!)

gr

Yup, history works just fine for this kind of thing. Just think of Scrivener’s editor views as being a bit like a web browser in that regard, it has both Back and Forward buttons meaning you can jump back and forward through a sequence of frequently used documents. There is one minor glitch worth noting: at the moment in the Windows version using history results in the keyboard input being placed off in some mysterious location other than the text editor. The cursor is in the correct position, but clicking into the editor moves it. Thus if you want to go precisely back to where you were, down to the letter, you need to access the editor with the keyboard, using Ctrl-Tab to cycle into it.

Hopefully that bug will be fixed in the future though, because it’s much nicer to just hit Ctrl-[ and immediately resume typing.

Moderator note: cross-posted topics merged.