Toolbar Button for Save?

Very new to Scrivener, and I like what I see so far.

I can’t seem to find a toolbar button for “Save.” If there isn’t one, can I add one with toolbar customization?

Thanks,

Al

Welcome to Scrivener, and to the forum!

By default, Scrivener saves a project after 2 seconds of inactivity. Basically, if you pause long enough to think of the right next word, Scrivener will have saved your project by the time you start typing again. Notice that on the title-bar of the Scrivener window, an asterisk appears after the filename while you’re typing or making any other changes. The asterisk means the project is not currently saved. Pause a bit and watch the asterisk disappear after 2 seconds, and you’ll know it’s saved. Essentially, Scrivener keeps you from having to remember to save while you’re in a fit of creativity, or when your fit is interrupted by the outside world. :slight_smile:

There is no toolbar button that can be added. But if you want to save manually without waiting the 2 seconds (and sometimes I do!), press Ctrl+S, or go to the File menu and select Save.

You can customize the automatic save period: on the Tools menu, select Options (or just press F12), and then the General tab, and under Saving select some time period other than 2 seconds. You can select anything from 1 to 300 seconds (5 minutes).

OK, got it. That’s good, but also bad, because it violates the usual Windows convention for editing a file. That is, you load it, and until you save it, you’ve got it “in memory.”

It uses more of a database convention.

I understand why you do it that way, and you have snapshots and backups to get around this, but it is still a problem, and should be stated more clearly somewhere.

I actually lost an hour’s work this morning because of this. I was experimenting and created a project in my \temp folder. While I had S open, I happened to clean up that folder. Of course that trashed the work I was doing.

I agree it was my fault, but if I’d been using OpenOffice, it wouldn’t have happened – I would have had the stuff still in memory.

The Scrivener format and software is designed to accommodate projects that have gigabytes of research data and drafts in them. It would not be feasible to load an entire project into memory. :slight_smile: Selectively loading only the pieces you need is part of what makes Scrivener such a high-performance system for working with large texts.

I would say more like Onenote or any other file-based program that auto-saves as you work. It doesn’t use a database to store data, it uses normal files and folders for maximum transparency and recovery capability. This isn’t a particularly “Windows” thing. There has long been a divide, on all platforms, between auto-save applications and those that load the entire file into RAM, as well as hybrid systems like Photoshop that have a more active “open” relationship with a document while it is open. So for future reference, it’s a good idea to check up on the type of software you’re using as a result.

AmberV (who actually works here; I’m just a fellow user) has explained the matter in some detail. I just wanted to say that I hadn’t thought of it this way, and you make an interesting point (subject to AmberV’s commentary). I use the Quicken finance software, and it saves every checkbook entry, for instance, as soon as I complete it. Very secure that way.

Ordinary word processors (more specifically than Windows as such, and in distinction from Scrivener) do tend to load the whole file into memory and keep it there, though some of them (such as Nota Bene) also have an autosave feature, which has saved my bacon more than once. Other than the unusual situation you describe, it’s hard to see how automatic saving could cause a problem. But it did cause you a problem, so clearly it can happen.

The Scrivener manual is too dense to slog through before starting to use the program. But it does work OK as a reference tool, and I generally consult it when I’m unsure about particular features of the program. As AmberV noted, the save feature is described there.

(BTW, and this is not directed to you, TromboneAl, but I was amused to discover the other day that one of the words that the Scrivener spell-check dictionary recognizes is “RTFM.” A bit rude, but not bad advice to us all. :laughing: )

OK, I’m on board with the system.

I changed the “2 seconds” to “30 seconds,” since right now I’m working with a very large project with a lot of photos, and the thing was essentially going to sleep for a few seconds every time I stopped typing. I figure I’m pretty safe with that.