Total word count for that days edits or additions

Hi,
I’m not sure if I am posting this in the right place, so forgive me if I haven’t and I also tried searching on the forums to see if someone had asked this before but I didn’t find an answer (perhaps I’m just blind?) so I thought I would ask.

Basically I am using scrivener to write a book and work on fairly large projects, one of the things that I would like is to have a kind of global word count visible somewhere but just for the edits or additions that I make across multiple scrivenings in the project.

I know that I can go to the project route and see the total word count and what I have been doing up until now (if I remember before I start) is to make a note of the total when I start working and then compare it to the result at the end and subtract the difference, it would be nice if I could have this on display somewhere though, if it’s at all possible that is?

The reason why is because I’m one of those warped souls that bases their daily goals on hitting a certain number of words per day as a motivational jolt in order to avoid procrastination and generally to keep myself on target.

Is there a way to do this that I have just overlooked?

Thanks a lot for any help.

Cheers,

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

It sounds like Project Targets should do what you want, so give that a look and check out the options with it to refine the settings. (Project>Show Project Targets or shift-cmd-T) It offers a “session target,” so you can set your goal for the day and watch the progress bar as well as the actual word count. (Note that it is by session, so it will reset when you close the project–that may not be quite what you wanted, but it’s certainly a step up from what you’re currently doing and you may be able to quickly adapt your daily goals into “session” chunks if need be.) It’s a floating panel, so you can leave it open while you’re working, even in full screen, or you can choose to set a Growl notification when you hit your session target.

Bingo, that’s more or less what I was looking for, thanks for taking the time and answering me, I really appreciate it.