Tracking cursor moves between two editors in a big collection

I use collections a lot, and they usually have a ton of short documents — e.g. 40 docs, each with just a line or two of dialogue. I use the collections to try out new orders.

When I’m doing that, I open the same collection in the two editors side by side, one in Scrivenings view, the other in Outline.

I’d like to be able to have the Outline editor show which doc my cursor is in in the Scrivenings one, either automatically or with a “Reveal in Binder”-type command.

Is there a way to do that? Or does anyone have a workaround that gives the same result?

Thanks

At the moment there is no framework in the software for what you are describing, but we’ve got some ideas for making this better in the future. I’ve added your comments to the notes on that, as I think you bring up some good examples of how a feature like this could be used. Thanks!

Thanks Amber.

In fact I did figure out a workaround for this. It’s a bit ungainly, but I’m posting it here in case anyone else is interested.

You have to have the Binder open, as well as the two editors (one with the collection in Scrivenings view, the other with it in Outline). And you have to activate "Binder Affects [your Outline editor].

With your cursor in the Scrivenings editor and in the doc whose location you want to see, choose “Reveal in Binder” (⌥⌘R), then “Move Focus to Binder” (⌃⌥⌘B). Then hit the arrow keys — up first, then down.

See? Easy.

Well, I did say it was ungainly. But actually it’s pretty quick once you internalize the keyboard shortcuts.

Ah yes, there are a lot of little neat tricks like that you may discover. There are some good tools in the View/Go To/ sub-menu. Even toggling view modes can be very handy: in your Scrivenings split, try hitting Cmd–3. The file you were editing will be highlighted in an Outliner, use the arrow keys to move around a bit, and press Cmd–1 to go back to Scrivenings mode, jumping you to the spot selected in the outline. It’s a bit like having a ToC for the session.

Basically we try to make each tool as flexible as possible in its own right, and capable of being combined with other small tools to create larger ways of doing things. It might be “clunky” when compared to a hand-crafted feature that does the same thing, for sure, but it also means the potential permutations for how Scrivener can be used will always far exceed any planned flexibility from our end, and certainly the time it takes to design, develop and test a feature.