Traditional Calendar View

I apologize if this topic has been covered. I searched but could not find any relevant references. I LOVE Scriverner. It does everything I need and more—except for one feature. I like to plot scenes in each chapter on a standard calendar to help me keep track of when something in the story happens. I have tried Aeon Timeline, but as of now, there are no traditional calendars available in that program. It allows timeline-only views, which don’t end up being that useful to me. I would love to be able to generate a calendar with standard boxes in Scrivener itself, which would take my header from each index card and place those words into the appropriate day (box) on a calendar month grid according to date information I provide. If I were to change the date of a scene, which I do from time to time, the calendar would automatically update for me. As it is now, I produced my own calendar in another program and I would have to manually update it if I want it to remain accurate. Thank you for considering this feature if at all possible.

I can’t believe I spelled Scrivener incorrectly. My apologies. :blush:

No worries. :slight_smile: A calender view has been requested before and denied as not fitting in with the scope of the software. Normally I recommend people take a look at Aeon Timeline, but it sounds like you’ve already had a look at that and prefer the grid view over the timeline view. I am drawing a blank on anything that might work to take a list of text strings and dates and turn them into a calender format like something iCal could read. That strikes me as the sort of thing someone might have make a little utility or script for, though, so it might be worth it to see if anyone has. Scrivener can export CSV files from the outliner, so that should broaden the scope of what is possible.

Amber,

One thing that might work/be-acceptable-development would be to enable an alternate view of the outline. If there was a way to select a meta-data-column, and then group/view those in the cork-board view, that would meet this requirement. I could also see how that would be a useful viewing tool for viewing groups by meta-data. The header for each card would be the meta-data-group (Date in this case), and individual lines would be the header/title for individual cards. It would probably have to be an alternate-outline-mode, so the outline button would have 3-modes instead of 2…

It sounds like you are referring to something similar to Finder’s new “Arrange By” feature? If so that’s not a bad idea (though I don’t know about implementing that on the corkboard, that makes more sense in a list view like Outliner), but it would take a lot of development to pull that off—there isn’t anything prefabricated for making a view like that, or even the mechanical components for subdividing a list—all of it would have to be coded from scratch. So if such a view ever appeared it would not likely be a component of the 2.x line.

I agree it might be too big a project for the current version, but I think it would be a great feature for the 3.x line. You’re correct that Arrange-By-Meta-Data makes a lot of sense in an outline view – but you can kind-of do that right now by just click/double-click/etc the column-title – where the kind-of is because of how it handles nested-folders/etc (ie - it sorts them inside their folders and doesn’t sort them ONLY by your column). If you were to sort them ignoring nesting-folders, you’d need to turn the folder-list-mode into a folder-path-column/cell.

But I also think it makes almost-as-much sense in in a cork-board type of view, where the index-cards contain a mini-outline-view of just 1 (maybe 2) columns. It’s convenient to view binder-contents with Title/Synopsis on a cork-board. I think it would be just as convenient to use that view to show Character-plot-over-view, for example, or time-line/location relationships/overview. Heck, even by Title with statistics (word-count, paragraphs, footnotes, etc) in the body of the index-card would be nice. I think the reason it sounds appealing is that the cork-board is a grid-like-view, so you can see more data at a high-level, though you get less detail-type data, without having to scroll. There’s nothing like being able to get a high-level-view-with-a-glance – and the cork-board is great for that.

To use a non-calendar example, if you’ve got a lot of characters in a story, it might be nice to have a cork-board-view where each character is an index-card, and each line on the index-card shows their significant plot-points. Drilling down/double-clicking a character index card could then show a cork-board where significant-plot-points-for-character are the titles of the index-cards, and the text is the title/synopsis of the document(s) it’s located in. To set up a cork-board-tree like this would probably take a popup-window (or similar) to select the order, and could be an optional-binder-tab like saved-searches. The popup/whatever would just ask you to select and order the meta-data columns for the nested-cork-board-view. In this case, I’d set Character to #1, Plot-Point to #2, Title #3, Synopsis as #3 (but listed after Title so you know it comes after Title).