Transfer Files

My manuscripts do not appear when I try to port my data from an older Windows machine to a newer Mac. I can see my chapter headings fine, there is junk in the Trash folder, but the actual writing is nowhere to be found. I don’t know this software at all, I’m helping my wife. I’m a fluent IT guy, happy to talk tech, just don’t get how Scrivener handles this.

Source computer: Windows 7 Pro, SP1, (64-bit)
Destination computer: Mac OS X El Capitan (10.11.6)

I have tried the Backup process.
I have tried the Sync process.
I have tried simply copying the source files.

When I show the package contents of the SCRIV file on the destination computer there are LOTS of RTF files that appear to be exactly the content my wife is authoring, but I see no place in the app where those RTFs are loaded up and editable like they appear to be on the Windows machine.

I give up, throwing up the white flag. How/Why are the manuscript files not appearing on the Mac app when they show just fine on the Windows app?

Thanks in advance for saving my sanity.

Does the destination Mac have version 2.x or greater?
At the source, did you copy the entire “My Projects.scriv” folder?

See page 45, sec. 6.7 here: literatureandlatte.com/docum … letter.pdf

The easiest way is to Save as… to Dropbox from the PC and then simply Open… from the Mac.

If the RTF files are in the project that’s a good sign, they just may not be where you are looking in the project binder. There is a global string search utility in the main project toolbar, I would copy and paste a phrase from one of the RTF files into that tool (click the magnifying glass to make sure the search scope is sane, you want something like “All / Any Words”, and none of the options that might exclude large quantities of material in the lower section, search the trash, everything). If you get a hit in the sidebar, select it and use Opt-Cmd-R or View/Reveal in Binder to pinpoint its location—and hopefully the rest.

Also while you are poking around in the project package, keep an eye out for any conflict files that may have been generated by cloud software in the past. In particular if the master “.scrivx” file in the root package level is conflicted, it might very well by loading an ancient version of the project binder that doesn’t have an adequate map to the content. There should be one .scrivx file below the “.scriv” folder. On a PC you double-click the .scrivx to load the project, or use the recent projects menu, but on a Mac all of that is hidden in the bundle format and .scrivx selection is automatic—and potentially inaccurate if there are too many.

And of course as the others mentioned, make sure the whole thing got copied. It does sound like it, but a simple parity check on folder sizes between machines should confirm.

Worst case, you can create a new blank project on the Mac and try using the File/Import/Scrivener Project… menu command. It’s an all purpose utility, but it’s also extremely liberal in what constitutes a project, and can often recover otherwise damaged projects.

Amber, great suggestions and recommendations. I was able to find the data using search. Seems this is more of an issue with knowing the product than files folders and security. I’ll hand over to my wife to research. Thank you!

We do have a v2.8.
I did copy the whole folder. Also, the app mitigates that by zipping it all together and that had the same issue. But now it looks like the issue is more in knowing the app well enough. I was able to find data using search. So the data is all there, just need to get it exposed properly. It’s my wife’s app so I’m handing the laptop back to her to figure out the app behavior. Thanks!

It turns out the issue is in the app itself and knowing where to find stuff. We’re still sorting that out but at least I know the transfer succeeded now. Besides, DropBox doesn’t apply any magic sauce here. All 3 methods I used are 100% the same from a files/folder perspective. DropBox is no different.

I appreciate the response all the same though. Cheers