Transferring projects from another computer to new updated Scrivener on another computer

How can I transfer projects from an old laptop to a new desktop? I purchased the new Scrivener 3 updated version (I had version 1) and there was nowhere to migrate old projects from another computer that I can find.

Hello EJPD, and welcome to the forum.

It sounds like you’re upgrading from Scrivener 1 to Scrivener 3 for Windows. Is that correct? Or, are you a Mac user? I ask because the change from 1 to 3 suggests Windows, but this is marked as os-related, which is often a Mac designation.

If you’re a Windows user, we have a Knowledge Base article for installing Scrivener on additional PCs. Some of those steps may be helpful for things like transferring your saved word lists and so on.

We also have an Upgrade Guide for Scrivener 1 for Windows users. It will demonstrate how Scrivener will take your existing projects and upgrade their formatting to be compatible with Scrivener 3.

If you’re a Mac person, we have a similar guide for Macs, which helps with migrating settings.

And, there is also a project format upgrade guide for Scrivener 2 users going to Scrivener 3.

If any of those resources are unclear or if you have additional questions, please let us know.

Migrate projects the same way you’d migrate any other files, by copying them somewhere (to a USB stick perhaps), carrying it to the new machine, and copying from the portable drive to the new hard drive. There are other methods, depending on what media you have available, but this has nothing to do with Scrivener. It’s computer literacy.

Do be careful not to forget (if you’re on Windows) that a project is a .scriv folder, not a .scrivx file. On a Mac, the folder structure isn’t visible (thank the gods!), and the project appears as a .scriv file (actually a package, but it looks like a file).

1 Like