Trash, Rename, Split & Compile

A few questions please -

1. In an attempt to trash a project I right clicked on it in File, but no option for that. So, how?
  2. Similar to that is how to rename a project?
  3. What are the steps to have two different projects on split screen either side by side or one above the other.
    All I have been able to manage is have the same project on a split screen.
  4. I recently completed, after five years, my 72 chapter novel. Having a hell of a time with Compile.
    Is there a straightforward 1, 2 ,3 method to compile to Word, PDF?

It’s fine if someone has expertise in one of these areas and answers just that question.
Very much appreciated.

Wanishi.

Louis

1. Quit Scrivener. Trash the project in Finder.
  2. Quit Scrivener. Rename the project in Finder. If needed, reopen the project in Scrivener and adjust project-level metadata in File->Compile, metadata section.

Hope this helps!

What do you mean with “in File”? You can right-click on a (closed!) project in the Finder and there is a content menu item to trash the project. Or you could just drag it onto the Trash icon.

Quite similar: Right-Click on the name of a project in the Finder or click on its name when it is already selected. Then rename. If you are using the project’s file name somewhere in your manuscript make sure to change the name in the compile dialogue because it only adopts the file name automatically in newly created projects.

That’s what Scrivener’s editor splitting is made for: To see different parts of one project. To have two projects side by side you have to open two project windows and place them the usual macOS way.

First: congrats! To help you further on we need more informations about what you did. Which template did you use or did you create your own one? How do the compiled docx and PDF manuscripts look when you compile them right now? What is missing, what is wrong, etc.?

Thanks very much for the responses. Terrible that I’m so in the dark about Scrivener although I’ve been able to make it work for me, sort of. Nothing about it is intuitive.

Anyway, when you I can trash or rename projects in Finder - where? Do I open Scrivener under Applications, or find it elsewhere?

Oh dear! Louis, please forgive me for not providing enough detail in my first response.

Once you’ve quit Scrivener, forget that the Scrivener application exists. You’re going to treat your project files just as if they were any other file on your Mac.

Do you remember the folder where you stored your project files back when you first created them? If yes, open that folder on your Mac in an ordinary MacOS Finder window.

If not, open Scrivener once again. Open the project you’d like to trash or rename. Right-click on the window title (screenshot below.) Select the folder name that’s right below the project name. An ordinary MacOS Finder window will open, with your project highlighted. Once you’ve got this window, leave it alone for a moment and go back to Scrivener. Close your project, and quit Scrivener (File->Quit).

Now you have your project file displayed in a Finder window. Right click on its name or icon. From the context menu, select either Move to Trash (to delete it) or Rename and name it as you prefer. If you rename it, double-click on it right in this very Finder window, to open it in Scrivener for the first time after renaming.

Back in Scrivener, you may see the old project name in Recent Projects or in your Favourite Projects. It means nothing. If you click on it you’ll get an error message—which you should since the project no longer exists! :wink: I’d suggest removing it from Favourites if it’s there. If having the old project name in Recents bothers you, just open and close all the other projects in the menu, Your old project name will drift to the bottom of the list and can be ignored
[attachment=1]Screen Shot 2021-04-15 at 10.39.47.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=0]Screen Shot 2021-04-15 at 10.41.46.jpg[/attachment]

OK, I’m going to assume that you want a split screen that’s in full screen mode, but with two Scrivener projects showing. If this isn’t what you want, please try to post an image that is what you want! I’ll be happy to help.

So the key here is that Scrivener is fussy about wanting a really wide space for a project in full screen mode. So to get the projects to co-exist, you need to fool Scrivener into thinking the projects are narrower than they are.

First open your two projects in ordinary windows. Then, for each project, choose both View->Hide Binder and View->Hide Inspector. Now, in one of the projects, hover your mouse pointer over the Full Screen button, and select one of the “Tile” options. You should see something like this:
[attachment=1]Screen Shot 2021-04-15 at 12.29.12.jpg[/attachment]
Now click on the project outlined in blue, and both projects should display side-by-side in full screen mode. If you like, you can re-display the Binders and Inspectors by choosing View->Show Binder and View->Show Inspector in each project, resulting in a screen like this:
[attachment=0]Screen Shot 2021-04-15 at 12.36.13.png[/attachment]
I hope this helps! Please post any questions.

Thanks everyone.
For an absolutely brilliant, sexy, charming, charismatic guy, I have a world of challenges with this program.
Great as it is.

I don’t want to question your brilliance but your first two points are not at all about Scrivener but about standard macOS functions, delete and rename. (The third one is too but you didn’t know about that because you misunderstood the idea of editor splitting. So it doesn’t count.)

And it’s the same with finding the project: When you don’t remember after five years where you had saved your project why not search for it in the Finder or with Spotlight? Like you would search for any other file too? Or go for File/Show Project in Finder in Scrivener.

Have you ever looked into the Scrivener tutorial? You definitely should do that.

I hope I don’t sound reproachful. It is not at all my intention to offend you but to help.

Could you upload a screen shot of your project’s Binder? Of course with blackened parts if necessary. Seeing the structure of your project could help us helping you.

As others have said, what you are asking about is Mac basics, not about Scrivener. Istrongly advice that you get yourself a basic book about how to use a Mac. It will save you lots of trouble in the future. One such example is this one:
takecontrolbooks.com/mac-basics/