Treasures on the Net

The Internet is huge. Once in a while you discover real treasures. Here are some of them

scribd.com/
Lot’s of books that you can search and download. I’m not sure about the legal issues though.

video.google.com
I’ve found a lot of lectures in different subject areas.

books.google.com/
You can browse through books before you decide to buy them. Surprisingly much of is revealed of many books

scrbd has a lot of stuff, and that’s why I’m leery of using it. They brag of having “50 million readers, 50,000 new writings & documents uploaded daily.” Applying Sturgeon’s Law – which is, if anything, too generous – 45,000 of those new “writings” (and WTF is a “writing?”) are crap.

Better, in my mind, to check in at http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page, where the offensive ninety percent has largely been eliminated. Also, Gutenberg is clear on the copyright issue.

ps

FWIW, I know several writers who upload work to scribd. For example, one fairly successful novelist uploads short stories there: there’s no market for short stories, so she gives them away for promotional purposes.

Sturgeon’s Law still applies, but it applies to any bookstore, too.

Katherine

I have to admit I’ve had quite a wonderful time downloading books from Scrbd. None of it junk, all real books, and many of them quite good. The quality is good. I use Gutenberg as well. It’s a great site and I use it. Have even found a couple of hard-to-find books there. One’s out of print.

I think you could apply Sturgeon’s Law to the whole internet.

:slight_smile:

I think I am sturgeon’s law. At least vic-k, wock and I represent nearly the entire 90% for this site.

So am I STURG or am I

LAW

:slight_smile:

Strange to relate, I know. But! I dont recall ever inviting you two, to tag along in my formidable shadow. Whence came this +3 rubbish. I mustve been feeling charitable when it materialised, otherwise youd ve been severely admonished, vilified and castigated. All you two ever do, is: muddy the waters and incited dissent!! jeeezz!!! What a claim to fame!!

Anyway! Come New Year, as soon as Led releases the mob of meddlers from the brain, and Vic-k has brought down some well deserved and overdue pain and suffering, on little douche bag, Azim, I intend to leave the lower decks, and take up residence in the crows nest. Once there I shall become the '[i]bobueland of Stockport[/i]', dropping, [i]'Perles de sagesse philosophique'[/i] onto the main deck for you all to scramble for and scrap over. Till then, find yown shadow! :open_mouth:
Vic

A dog that thinks he is a cat or is it a cat that thinks he is a dog?

I would rather stand in your shadow then stand downwind any day! :stuck_out_tongue:

Come on up to the Crow’s Nest. I will leave plenty of Pigeon Poo to comfort your stay.

[size=200]+3[/size]

As of now, this [size=150]+3[/size]means no more to me than an aerial view of the head of a Philips screw with big boobs!!

That must mean that I am the screw and you guys are the boobs.

That reminds me of a joke I heard.

“How do you make 8 pounds of ugly fat look good?”

“Put a nipple on it.”

I’ll gladly be the boob. I don’t mind all the attention. :slight_smile:

an 8lb boob ? :open_mouth: That`s as big as the turkey I cooked at Christmas, jeezzzz!

Butterball

boob or bird?