...Trial? Help, please.

I decided to try Scrivener for Linux out this year for NaNoWriMo. It’s now a week into NaNoWriMo, and it’s stopped working. The post said:

The above states that a) the beta version is free, b) wasn’t being worked on at the moment, and c) that it won’t expire. Obviously somewhere something has been mentioned about a trial period since someone else on this forum seems to have been mentioned about it by another NaNo participant. The above text was posted by a staff member. And it’s extremely misleading.

I can’t get into my novel, nor can I convert the files to anything else, so that’s this year’s effort ruined, unless someone has a was of converting the files to plain text without being able to open it. :cry:

What’s the point in limiting use of the beta when there there isn’t a version to buy it yet and nobody is even working on one? And what’s the point of misleading people about it? All it’s going to do is damage your own reputation and lose you customers. Usually I stick to free software unless the paid option is much better, or a free version doesn’t exist. This year I thought I’d take a chance since so many people were saying how good Scrivener is, but this really puts me off of even considering buying it in the future. :cry:

Look here for the new beta:

[url]https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/beta-101-deb-now-available-for-download/15393/1]

It expires next March. I might even finish this novel by then :wink:

I tend to agree with this.

Obviously, the beta has to have some time limit so that people are encouraged to buy the finished version. Scrivener has been using beta expiration dates that are far too aggressive, however, and end up locking users out of the software when a new beta is delayed.

The only advantage I can see to doing this is to ensure that all of the users (/beta-testers) are using the same version, which does ease the support burden somewhat.

It would be much better if the betas had an expiration date that is a ballpark for a commercial release (e.g., they all expire Q3 2012 or something). Failing that, the expiration date for the betas should be well past the anticipated release date of the next beta; perhaps three to four months from the date of issue. Attempting to time the betas so that one expires just when the next is being released – that does not help anybody.

I think in the past that they put limits on the betas because they want people to try out and use the new ones for bugs. From a support standpoint, it helps to have a line in the sand, where they say “Hey update, these bugs are fixed.” Maybe AmberV or MimeticMouton can weigh in once they get some breathing room.

Thanks for the link. I’m having trouble uninstalling and reinstalling the new version though. This has put me hours behind, not just on my novel but on everything else I had to do today. I’m relatively new to Linux and the first install I tried was my first time managing to get a tar.gz file to install and I can’t work out where to get rid of it. I don’t use Debian either which the new file is made for. I’ve been trying to work it out but it’s not working because the old version is still there and the trial message is still coming up. :frowning:

Okay, deep breath. I ran into the same problem this morning, pre-coffee. Slackware, here, which doesn’t use debian packages, either.

Unpack the deb file. Doesn’t matter where, for now. If you’re unsure how, use a graphical file browser and right click on it. Select “extract and auto-detect subfolder,” or your closest equivalent. Once you do that, you should have a control and a data tarball. undo the data tarball. Inside of the data one, go into share. Then you should see a LiteratureAndLatte file. Replace that with wherever Scrivener is currently installed. If you have a shell script or other command to handle the libraries, you shouldn’t need to change it, if you put the new Scrivener file where the old scrivener was.

After that, it should work as normal. It’s really just drop-and-replace if it was working before.

I’ve pasted/overwritten each file I can find and I didn’t get the trial period error message, but it wouldn’t create any new documents and kept freezing when I tried to do that or open my novel files. I’ve managed to get it open now - about 6 hours after I started trying and hunting for resolutions. It still seems buggy but I’ll export it as something else just in case. Thanks for your help. :frowning:

Hrm. You might have something strange lying about. Might be good to completely delete the old LiteratureAndLatte file and put the new one (from today’s deb package) in its place.

Yes, a line in the sand really does help—not only us in minimising obsolete bug reports—but also you all as it keeps people up to date where they otherwise might not do so, while using software that probably in all reality should be updated regularly due to bugs. Something nasty might be lurking in an older version that you’ve never personally run into, but others have and it has since been fixed, that sort of thing. Yes, there is the “counter-freeware” aspect as well, but since we have no immediate plans to release an official Linux version, the expiration date model will be much more generous than it has been in the past with the fast and furious Windows cycle—also a reflection on the fact that most of the nastiest bugs have at this point been squashed.

So, March. Your complaints have been heard and this gives us all more breathing room. :slight_smile: Meanwhile you get continued access to something that you otherwise wouldn’t be able to, without resorting to WINE, in the time building up to when we can support an additional (highly compound and variable) platform. Ultimately when we can, it’ll be a much more solid product as a result of that, I think.

I just managed to make an RPM out of the DEB package and just posted the link in the pinned thread. Hopefully it’ll save anyone else with a distro based on Redhat from flailing around for 6+ hours.

Awesome! Thanks very much for that.

No problem. :slight_smile:

I just wanted to post a note of appreciation here, since you make such a great effort to make sure that Linux-users get access to one of the best software packages ever; and that you cut us a slack with the trial period limitations while the development is continuing at a reduced pace.

Apart from that, I’m happy to see that the latest .DEB installed flawlessly on Ubuntu 11.10 64-bit as well.

You should feel certain that you will find quite a few paying customers in the Linux camp when the time comes – here’s one. :slight_smile:

You should have more slack now. The expiration is set for some time in early 2012, I forget exactly when, but I think some time in January. This will be the ongoing policy going on, as the quick beta release cycle period is over.