trouble converting Scrivener project to ePUB

Don’t know if this is a bug or user error. When attempting to convert a Scrivener project to ePUB on my Mac, I have several chapter titles that repeat 4 or 5 times with no indication of why: Looks like this:

Chapter One
A New Clue to an Old Story
A New Clue to an Old Story
A New Clue to an Old Story etc.

I don’t have a clue to why it’s happening, but it’s the only bug that’s preventing me from submitting it as an ebook. Any help, greatly appreciated.

– tom

Where precisely are the repeated titles showing up? The table of contents? At the top of a chapter, before the text? At the start of each scene break within the chapter?

Can you provide a screenshot of the binder that corresponds to where some of the repeated titles show up on the ebook?

The most probable cause of this outcome are stray page break characters scattered throughout the text—most likely having come in from copy and paste from a more traditional single-file word processor. To check for this:

1. Use the View ▸ Text Editing ▸ Show Invisibles menu command.
  2. You could go hunting for the symbol, but until you see one it might be hard to know what to look for (and they can be hard to spot even if you know what to look for). So the easiest thing to do would be to put your cursor anywhere in the text editor and use the Insert ▸ Break ▸ Page Break command. You’ll see a small vertical bar added to the end of the previous line.
  3. Now hold down the Shift key and press the left arrow key once. This will select the page break character. Cut the character to remove it from the editor and put it on the clipboard.
  4. Now just hit ⌘F and paste the page break character into the find field.

You’ll want to use the Find tool in any of these sections that are duplicating in the ToC, and probably just replace them with a carriage return, though you might find a bunch of spaces inserted around the area that you want to clean up—it depends on the word processor the text came from.