Trouble exporting to Word (especially indents)

Hi,

My novel in Scrivener is indented at 0.25ins across all scenes.

For some reason, when I compile and export to Word, for certain chapters the indent is jumping to something closer to 2ins.

I’ve re-checked these chapters in Scrivener and they are indented at 0.25ins.

Any suggestions?

Are you talking about the indents in the Compile settings or in the Editor while writing?

Check to see if the problem chapters are indented with tabs. The View -> Text Editing -> Show Invisibles command will make tab characters visible if they aren’t already.

Katherine

Thank you Katherine - I will look into this.
Just to clarify - if they are indented with tabs, should I be using some other method to indent rather than the tab button? And will there be an easy way to correct this?

Edit → Text Tidying → Strip Leading Tabs will do what it says.

If, as I suspect, the Compile command is also supplying an indent, then stripping leading tabs in the Editor should give the results you want.

For future reference, Format → Paragraph → Tabs and Indents is used to set the first line indent in the Scrivener editor. Once you’ve formatted one paragraph to work the way you want, you can use the Project → Project Settings → Formatting pane to make it the default for this project, or Scrivener → Scrivener Preferences → Editing → Formatting to make it the default Scrivener-wide.

Then, the Documents → Convert → Text to Default Formatting command will reformat existing text to the new default.

Katherine