trouble with line endings

Hi. I’ve been researching a story I’m writing, copying some text and stories from the web into clippings in Scrivener. It’s mostly been going smoothly, but I’ve run into trouble with a couple of stories where the text gets squished into a column about an inch and a half wide.

I actually copied the text into a text edit document, reformated by removing all the line endings, and reestablishing the paragraph breaks, but when I copied it into Scriviener, it went back to being an inch and a half wide.

Any suggestions?

Press Cmd-R and check your Ruler margins. It might be that when you pasted the first time it set things that way, and when you pasted the second time it was from a plain text editor and thus did not establish any style parameters, inheriting what was already there.

If it happens in multiple Scrivener documents – it could be that you have your default settings in Text Editing of preferences set up with a faulty margin width.

Good thoughts, but nope. The ruler setting is nice and wide, and it’s not happening in multiple docs.

Here’s a pic to show what’s happening:

authorsaloud.com/imagewell/scrivener2.jpg

(by the way, what’s the trick when using the posting tools to do that more easily?)

Not sure what the issue is, but this has happened in every single program I use at times, including DevonThink. It’s not a Scrivener issue, I don’t believe. I’d be curious if someone can answer this one too.

Looks like it has a load of hard line breaks after the end of each line…

Yeah, that’s how it looks, but as I said, I used the services menu reformat command to remove all the line endings. This seems to be a pure formating issue.

I know this formatting problem from DevonThink too. Sometines I have only 1 char in a single line.

My workaround: I set the values for tables to zero, 0 lines and 0 columns. Most of the times it works.

I’ve never had this … and I’m totally new to Scrivener and I don’t use DevonThink, but what Ursula says strikes me as being a distinct possibility for an explanation. Some web pages are built on tables though they look like ordinary text pages, so when you import them, you may well be importing a table with all its borders hidden. In that case, presumably Scrivener will format the incoming table with whatever cell width is set as its default. Ursula’s 0/0 approach would basically be saying “Table of 0 dimension” and so the text just gets dumped on the page.
Mark

I selected the copy and then chose ‘table’ from the text menu, but all the settings were at zero, so I don’t think that’s it. But thanks for the attempt!

I think you’re absolutely right that I’ve imported some weirdness from the web, but I don’t seem to be able to get rid of it.