Trying to insert folders after an import-split

I’m trying to make sense of/recover from an import-split, in which I imported an entire draft of a manuscript I’d compiled, then revised in Word. I retrieved everything, luckily, but in trying to reinstate folders and move them further left than the scenes they contain, I run up against Scrivener’s insistence on dropping those folders to the bottom of the queue, after all 140-odd scenes. I can return them northward via mouse, but only to the same level as the scenes, so they’re not really folders, are they? (For the record, Ctrl + Windows + UpArrow doesn’t do anything, so using the mouse in this literally Sisyphean task can be quite frustrating. )

Any wisdom, please?

Try adding the Move buttons to the Toolbar by going to View → Edit Toolbar. It makes it way easier to adjust the hierarchy of binder items.

The Scrivener binder treats documents and folders the same—you can have either at any hierarchy level, but if you change the hierarchy, an item can get moved to the bottom.

Somewhat of an aside to what it sounds like you’re doing by hand, you might find it a lot easier to select the group of scenes that should be in a folder together, and use the Documents ▸ New Folder from Selection menu command. That inserts a folder at the level the items were at, and automatically indents them into it in one move.

I run up against Scrivener’s insistence on dropping those folders to the bottom of the queue, after all 140-odd scenes.

Also, specifically on this note, that shouldn’t be happening unless you select the Draft folder itself. If you select the item you want to insert the folder below, then it should produce a more useful result.

I may be misunderstanding, but it sounds as though you may be creating the folders as suggested, within the list of scenes, but the “dropping” is happening when you attempt to outdent them. If that’s the case, that would be most easily solved by the advice above, to select the scenes that should be in the folder and then use New Folder from Selection (available from the right-click context menu as well as the main menu). But to just explain the behaviour, when the folder and the following items in the list are all initially at the same level, outdenting the folder moves it out of that list to the same level as the parent item of the list. It necessarily moves outside of the list and is placed immediately below it in the binder because it it’s no longer contained inside the same parent item as the rest of the documents there.

So an alternative to handle this is to indent the scenes below the folder, that should be contained within it as subdocuments, and leave the folder at the level that it’s created. Ultimately as you go through the list, the scene documents will all be shifted one level in from all the folders you’re creating (scenes contained within folders), which is what I’m understanding you to be trying to achieve. That is essentially what the New Folder from Selection command will do all in one swoop.

If you’re using the default shortcuts for Scrivener 3 on Windows, the shortcut for shifting items in the binder should be just Ctrl+Up/Down/Right/Left, without the Windows key involved. But the available movement will be constrained by the outline hierarchy, so for instance if select a folder that is outdented one level from the item above it, Move Up will move it up within its own level, so will place it above whatever the preceding item is that is outdented to its same place in the hierarchy; it would not shift up to just above the document preceding it, since that document is a child of something else and is at a deeper level.

Many thanks to everyone for replying; how kind of you to extend your help.

I’ll try the new folder from selection command, as more than one of you has suggested. Or maybe I’ll simply indent further the scenes below each chapter. I was concerned, though, that If I did the latter, I’d mess up a future Compile or run afoul of Scrivenings when I try to find a word count. I have the idea, perhaps incorrect, that unless I have each folder and scene in the relative position where I think they “should” be, mimicking their suggested placement when you just start a project, I’ll lose those two functions.

This is in fact incorrect.

For the Compile command, you can assign any Section Type you want to any document (or folder) in the Binder. By default, Scrivener will assign Section Types based on the Binder hierarchy, but you can override those at any time.

Similarly, you can create a Scrivenings session from any selection of documents, regardless of their relative positions in the Binder.

Many thanks for your excellent advice. I finished putting in the folders and yes, I did get a word count through Scrivenings.