Trying to remain calm about loss

Hi
I know it’s there but I can’t access my manuscript with 1.7. All the Scrivener folders show up empty. I save my work very frequently and always have at least one copy per day so there are plenty of folders, including last night’s. But, when the new interface asks me to browse, there’s nothing to load from the subfolders. I’ve been trying to figure a way to roll back the system so I can access 1.6 but restore is being squirrely at the moment. Is it possible to obtain a copy of 1.6? Then, I could take a snapshot and maybe that will work with 1.7. Have exhausted all my valium and gin and am thinking about starting to smoke again (after 25 years) so am reely, reely hoping there’s a save for this.
Thanks for any help (maybe 100K words worth???),
Jane

Could you describe the process you are going through? For example, here is how I load a Scrivener project from the disk if it isn’t in the recent list. I use Explorer to find the “project.scriv” folder, double-click on it, and inside that folder I double-click on the .scrivx file, loading the project in Scrivener.

How are you making these backups? Are you using the File/Backup Project To... menu, or duplicating them in Explorer on your own?

Do you mean the .scriv folder itself, or the Settings and Files folders? They are all empty?

Hi Amber:

Thanks for getting back to me so soon.

I couldn’t answer you right away because Scrivener wouldn’t open at all. After trying a number of times, I rebooted, thinking that might help, but there was no change. I tried some more and then gave it a rest, and now it opens (hurray!) and it comes up on the corkboard, not on the new document template, which was where it was opening before. I now have access to my document, TG.

One (extremely) small item is that my formatting has been mostly stripped. It still shows the settings I chose but the text is tiny, perhaps 6 pt.

I think I’ve learned a lesson from all this (besides not drinking too much gin in a panic) and that’s to take snapshots. I’ve been saving the old-fashioned way, with Save, but I’ll do both from now on.

Thanks again for responding.

Gremlins!

Jane

Hi again Amber,
I forgot to say that there was no project.scriv folder when I was having the original problem. I went to browse, then to documents, then to my master folder. When I clicked Scrivener, I came up with a list of drafts. When I clicked the latest one, it showed me 5 subfolders: Files, Novels with Parts, Quick Look, Settings, and Snapshots.
Now, when I go to my master folder and click the latest draft, it has 6 subfolders. The new one is project.scrivx.
Thanks again,
Jane

Okay, the “master folder” as you put it is what I meant by “project.scriv”. The first part is very likely different, it will be whatever name you gave it when you created it. “User Manual.scriv” for example. Inside this folder is where the .scrivx file sits, and that’s the one you want to load the project when browsing.

The idea is, you’ll want to create a new project (and thus a new master folder) for each real world project you embark on. When you are ready to start a new book, screenplay, or whatever, you’d create a new project folder in Documents. You might already know that, but just making sure.

Try bumping your zoom level up to 125%. It appears there is a bug in that the default zoom is reporting 100%, but really looks to be more like 75% or so. Setting it to 125% should equalise the problem and make the text look normal. The zoom feature is new, it’s a drop-down menu in the editor footer bar.

Snapshots are very good. They are important because saving isn’t so important. :slight_smile: As you work, everything you do is being saved automatically. It just happens in the background so you don’t even know it. When you manually save, it’s just icing on the cake, sometimes nothing happens at all. In other words, feel free to retain the habit, it won’t hurt anything, but you don’t need to save either. What this means though is that as you write everything is constantly being updated, so there is no way to go back to the way it was when you started without a snapshot. I always take a snapshot before I start really working on a section.

Maybe I’m still paranoid from the doctorate, but I back up to zip file in multiple places and compile it to something else.

Yes. Snapshots are for protecting pieces of your work inside the project, and File/Backup Project To... is for protecting the whole project, which is also very important, because that stores how everything is organised, labelled, etc.

Hi Amber:

The information about the zoom and the snapshot is welcome. As you know, saving is what we all worry about the most (I have 3,000 copies of everything I’ve ever done) so am glad to better understand the snapshot.

One correction – what I’m calling the master folder is a folder called “All Books” under Documents. Underneath this, I have many different projects, each designated by a name. I don’t get to Scrivener until the next menu, which is titled MFP4. Underneath it are all my Scrivener drafts. At the moment, when I open one – say yesterday’s – I get 5 folders plus scrivx. The scrivx is the folder that was missing before. Also, I now have the folder called project.scrivx. This was not in the folder the last time I opened it.

I think I’m going crazy or my computer is having puppies. Every time I click on a file associated with Scrivener, something new appears. Yikes.

------Just saw the post from Garpu. When I was able to get the corkboard a little bit ago, I took a snapshot and backed up to a .doc document as well. Should I have compiled instead?

Thanks for all your help,
Jane

Yeah, I don’t trust anything that has an “On” button. :slight_smile: That goes for betas or stable software that has been around and maintained since 1982.

Okay! I get you now. What had me confused is that .scrivx is not actually a folder. It’s just a file, so I was trying to figure out what you meant by missing project folders.

That’s a level of backup I never make myself. I look at it this way, if I have snapshots of the pieces of my draft, and I have dozens of backups of the entire .scriv folder stretching back months, each of those capable of compiling—I’m okay with just that. A compiled version is another layer of protection, and not a bad one during a beta. A beta release can end up unusable on your computer and so you’ll need something to keep working. I don’t use the beta for work though yet, and the Mac version I do use for work is stable, so this extra layer of protection isn’t something I do on a regular basis. I do compile out a final version once I’m done with a project though so that I can archive it and access the text of it with other software.

Update: I just read that the font size issue isn’t a zoom bug in the latest version. It’s just that up until now, Scrivener has been rendering fonts too large, and so most people have counteracted that by using smaller font sizes than they ordinarily would. Now that the font size is consistent with the rest of Windows, the result is tiny because of the overcorrection.

Thank you again for the information, Amber. I know the team has been working hard to make Scrivener, even in its Beta form, as usable as possible. It shows, not just in the software, but in the moderators of this forum.
Y’all are great! :smiley:
Jane

You’re welcome!