Tutorial oops

Highlight
Pretty straightforward, this one. Choose from several standard highlighter pen colours to highlight your text. (Note that to change the highlighter pen colour via the toolbar, click and hold the Highlight toolbar icon for a second; you will need to add the Highlight icon to the toolbar via Edit > Customize Toolbar first.)

shouldn’t it be View> Customize Toolbar ?

and what the hell is a zeeeeeee doing in there :cry:

I was just refreshing myself with new version after enforced abscence - but back now … it’s great!

You’re right, it should be View > Customize Toolbar. Whoops! Thanks for that.

I used “customize” instead of “customise” as it is the title of the menu item - all menu items use US English to fit in with the OS (which has British English localisation). My custom in the help files and tutorial is to use my own British English in the text itself, but to render interface names as they appear in the application (that is, in US English).

Thanks and all the best,
Keith

When is it Z, when is it S?

Fowler: http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=Z4HI0RQIDK0C&pg=PA217&lpg=PA217&dq=fowler’s+dictionary+of+modern+usage+ize&source=bl&ots=wbC3YuUiGK&sig=OzbSh4Dn4lOfjsaTvfGifpVXJp4&hl=en&ei=TmCvSdKvHtSyjAei28DaBQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=13&ct=result#PPA306,M1

It’s always an “s” in English (although that is changing - I see the “ize” form more and more in English writing too). However, the American spelling is technically more accurate, as it is in many areas of spelling (“color” over “colour” for instance) thanks to Webster, who reformed the American spellings from their original English forms, which were odd and changeable having been inherited from various different invasions and peoples, and based them instead on the original Latin and Greek forms. Thus “color” is the same as the Latin (whereas “colour” is Latin filtered through Old French) and “ize” was, apparently, closer to the original Greek form.

Of course, I use my own English because I’d be pretentious to start reforming my own spelling. And besides, it’s more colourful. Ho ho. Now you’ll really need some zees (zeds here). Etc.

Not certain I agree with “always”. Certainly Fowler as above thought not and following on I think Oxford (See Hart’s Rules and its replacement Dictionary for Writers) is still in favour of Z for some - depending as you rightly say on etymology. If you follow this line it would seem to be a bit of this and a bit of that: advertise, categorize etc. In other words, a good old British fudge (how much beer, how much petrol - if you see what I mean).
Best
Tony

Actually I think it comes down to who you ask. Definitely there is a mixed usage in English, but it’s always been my understanding that “-ise” is the more common form. The OS X spell checker (hardly an authority), for instance, underlines “categorize” as a misspelling and prefers “categorise”. I think either are allowed.

I like the opinion of Fowler’s on this:

What unfounded linguistic snobbery! We are told we are lazy for wanting to simplify a suffix, and that instead we should remember which are derived from ancient Greek and which are not! That really gets my goat. English is a living language and there is nothing wrong with simplifying the suffixes -language it should be about ease of communication, not remembering arbitrary lists of exceptions just for archeological purposes!

Still, a quick glimpse at my Partridge and Collins, and the authority of the OED is enough to convince me. I shall be converting to -ize forthwith. It must be the Times where I see it a lot, too. Words where the -ize isn’t part of the suffix remain -ise, of course - advertise, revise etc. If that was what Fowler’s meant, then I retract the above rant. Hmm, converting to -ize will play havoc with my spellchecker, though…

All the best,
Keith