Tutorial strangeness

In the Tutorial, I can’t see that green zoom button referred to in the Inspector, and where’s that + button the tutorial talks about? I tried the green Add button on the top menu, but that just adds folders or documents on the left.
Clicking on the key doesn’t open a translucent black panel containing keywords, just a blank space with sample words… the tutorial talks about dragging these to the keywords table - no clue what this is, though!
The next par has references to ‘the Search button at the bottom’, but I can’t see any Search button. There is a References button - perhaps that’s what is meant?
No, apparently not. Hmm.
“Click on the bookmark button to return to the References pane and then drag the “Step 7: End of Part One” reference from the References table into the header view at the top of the editor.” I wonder what ‘the header view at the top of the editor’ means? Pictures might help.

Okay, I am not certain of everything you are referring to, as some of these descriptions are vague. I think the “green button” you are looking for is just the right-most button in the set of three window buttons on the window itself, you know the ones that are on every window on the Mac? If your scrollbars are blue, it should be green (the others are yellow and red). If your scrollbars are grey, then it will be grey, but just hover over those three buttons and one of them will have a little ‘+’ sign in it. That’s your zoom button. This is a feature of pretty much every single window on the Mac (with a few exceptions).

What sample words? “Assign this one” “Characters” “Locations” and “Themes” by any chance? That is the keywords HUD if so. Or maybe you are in fact referring to the Inspector keyword table? I’m not sure what a “blank space with sample words” is. That sounds like a contradiction. The keyword table is described in the tutorial:

Is that what has the sample words in it? If so, that is your keyword table. Click the key icon in the application toolbar to show the HUD. Now try dragging “Assign this one” into the table already identified.

The tutorial doesn’t even have the phrase “search button” in it. I’m not sure what a search button is either. As far as I know, Scrivener doesn’t have one. It has a search field in the application toolbar. Maybe this is an error in an older version of the tutorial than I have loaded. Mine refers to a “bookmark button” as a way to open the References pane.

The editor is the big area in the middle where you type and read text; it is the document editor. The contents of this change when you select documents in the Binder (the list on the far left). So, with the editor located, scan up until you get to the top of it. See the header? It should have an icon representing the document, the title of the document, and some arrows. If you see nothing at all above the editor view, you might have accidentally turned it off. See if in the View menu, under the Layout submenu, there is an option to “Show Header View.” If it says “Hide Header View” you really should be seeing it already.

The tutorial is great until you come to the section on the Inspector - this is where I’m running into trouble.

No, the green button isn’t the Mac one. The bit about the + button is in that tutorial under References. The bit about the search button is further down in that section.

The exact quote from the tutorial is: “The references pane allows you to store references to other documents within the project, on your hard-disk or on the internet. By clicking on the “+” button, you can choose to add a reference to a file on disk or you can select a document inside the project.”

I just can’t see what “+” button this refers to.

Okay, I see where you are. With the Inspector open and the References pane selected you should see two buttons at the top of the pane (right before the “General” section in the middle). There is a ‘+’ and a ‘-’ button. If you click the ‘+’ button once, you’ll get a little menu offering the different types of links you can make. You can link to other documents in the Scrivener project, web URLs, and files on your system. Note you can also drag and drop as well, you needn’t use the ‘+’ button.

There are two sets of references, and the drop-down menu to the left of the ‘+’ button lets you choose between them. Document References attach links to the document you are currently editing. Project References let you make links to the entire project. They will be available from anywhere.

I did finally see what you meant by search button, too. The word was enclosed by quotes, which is why my search wasn’t finding it. This is referring to the button in the HUD. It’s not in the Inspector. With the HUD open (key button in the toolbar), select a keyword in the list, and then click “Search”. This will automatically search your entire project for documents with that keyword.

Remind me what HUD is… is that a film with Paul Newman?

Ah, I see those + and - buttons now! I don’t know why I thought the tutorial referred to the + button as green - unless it did somewhere else.

Now all I have to do is find out how to save a YouTube film and I’ll have the Sand Dance with Wilson, Keppel and Betty as a reference.

I’m feeling my way cautiously in. Nicely intuitive program. The only problem I’ve found so far is that I have too many scenes to see them comfortably on the corkboard. And unfortunately my current arrangement of scenes is in a single bulleted Word document; I don’t know if there’s a method to separate them out and have them as separate cards.

You want the “Split with selection as title” command, which is on the Documents menu under “Split.”

Katherine

googlesystem.blogspot.com/2008/0 … files.html

https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/better-final-draft-support-coming/3269/63

:slight_smile:

Thank you so much! This is brilliant. (Now I’ve been able to download the Sand Dance and the Lindy Hop scene from Hellzapoppin’.)

I tried writing a scene/chapter last night at 10pm, after coming back from an hour’s doggy walk around the city, and it worked beautifully. Now to see about exporting the scene itself, leaving behind my notes, which are in Inspector.

I like this a lot. First writing software (apart from side-issues such as Word and Word Perfect and whatever I used on that old Amstrad and various journalistic systems like Quark and Harris and 3B2) that I’ve really liked.

I’ve carefully read this thread but I, too, am unable to find the “green zoom” button in Inspector,as per this tutorial text:

“You may find this text a little scrunched up now. If so, click on the green “zoom” button in the top-left of the window. In Scrivener, the “zoom” button is your friend. When you click on it, Scrivener does its best to resize the window to accommodate all elements. You can change the default width of the editor in Preferences.”

It ain’t a big deal since I generally like the program and am learning how to use it. But despite the fact that my scroll buttons are blue and I clearly see the Inspector pane, that green button and its function remain elusive. In Inspector when “Notes” is active, all I see at the top is “Synopsis” and an “Auto-Generate Synopsis for Text” button. If I select “References” at the bottom of the Inspector, I do see “+” and “-” buttons but nothing is green nor do any “zoom” as per the tutorial text above.

On that chance that I’m missing some switch to light up all the button colors mentioned (green, red, yellow - none of which I see), is there some spot in “Preferences” that makes all of this visible?

In summary, that green zoom button in Inspector may, as the tutorial suggests, be “my friend” but I wouldn’t know because I can’t enable it! Any suggestions? (I’m perfectly willing to admit my slowness if this is all perfectly evident to others.)

Not only will you find this green zoom button (one of the traffic lights) in Scrivener, but in many other programs, including whatever browser you are using:

Best,
Keith

OK! Now I get it! And I hereby officially confess my inability to grasp and recognize something so fundamental. My apologies and thanks for your patience. DCS

I too stumbled in the tutorial looking for the “green zoom” button. Mostly because there was a bigger green “+” button right next to it, but also because the normal traffic-light button didn’t zoom the way I expected. Maybe I’d already resized, so it just reverted to that rather than zooming?

I hear that changes are in the works for the menus. This might deserve a moment’s consideration.

Hi,

The green button is referred to as the “zoom” button in all OS X menus. I’ll probably pop a picture in the tutorial for v2.0, though, as it seems that a lot of users don’t realise this.

All the best,
Keith