tutorial

I’ve just bought and installed Scrivener. As advised, I’ve been trying to open the Tutorial. I get a box saying it can’t be found and to reinstall Scrivener if the problem persists. I’ve reinstalled thrice, to no avail. Any advice would be appreciated!

This read-write access error will be fixed shortly, in the next release. For now, you can find the tutorial in the Scrivener.app bundle. Just right-click on the application, choose “Show Package Contents,” and go to Contents, and then Resources. There will be a lot of files in there. Find one called Tutorial.scriv, and drag that out to your desktop, or some place else you’d like it. Now double-click on the Tutorial file and you should be good to go.

Scrivener app Bundle? I downloaded Scrivener, no “bundle” I can see.

That’s just what an application is called, because it’s actually not just a single file, but more like a folder disguised as one. All applications on your Mac will be like this.

To get at the tutorial, navigate in the Finder to the Scrivener application (probably your Applications folder) and right- or ctrl-click on the application’s icon. From the menu that pops up, select “Show Package Contents”, as Amber wrote, and follow the rest of those instructions.

Hope this helps!

W.

It’s the technical term for how applications are packaged–the file.

Navigate to the application folder and find Scrivener. Control- or right-click on Scrivener. In the resulting popup choose Show Package Contents. A new directory window will appear. Double-click on Contents, then Resources. Drag the tutorial.scriv file from there to your desktop or documents folder. Close the windows and then double click on the tutorial.

Dave

I would just like to reiterate that this is not a bug. The next version is just going to make it easier for users to avoid what is an expected problem if they are not running Scrivener from a location to which they have write access.

peter42 - have you dragged Scrivener from off the DMG (corkboard image) into your Applications folder and then launched Scrivener from your Applications folder, as per the instructions? If you are running Scrivener from the DMG, then the tutorial will not open, as explained in the readme file.

All the best,
Keith

Eureka (eventually)! - a thousand and one thanks to you both.
Bests,
Peter