Tutorials for people WITHOUT laptop or desktop

Hi. I LOVE Scrivener. BUT I don’t have either a laptop or a desktop. I use an iPad Mini 2, plus an iPhone 7.

The available video tutorials usually require the viewer to have either a laptop or a desktop. Please could you create videos for the NEWBIE who is starting from scratch with the app on an iPad?

I have created a Facebook page called “Scrivener for iPad Only” where I have gathered together relevant videos - and it is indeed a sad collection :cry:

Many thanks in advance
Yours hopefully
Janet Fizz x

I’m not aware of any issues with the website player on iOS, and it seems to be working fine for me. Are there any videos in particular that are causing problems for you? We use the embedded Vimeo player, so maybe check to see if Vimeo is blocked in general.

That aside, we also upload all of these tutorials to YouTube, which should work.

Please excuse me if I’ve misunderstood either the original post or your response, Ioa. But I believe that @JanetFizz was not complaining about not bring able to view instructional videos. Rather, they are complaining about the lack of instructional videos that treat iOS Scrivener as a stand-alone application.

Both of the instructional videos for iOS Scrivener in the Scrivener YouTube channel presume that the user has a Mac or PC and wants to sync with that. How about videos that illustrate iOS-only compilation? How to back up and restore projects using only iOS devices? How to sync between two iOS devices with no Mac or PC anywhere in sight?

Although I’ve stopped using iOS Scrivener myself, many of the questions I’ve answered in the iOS Scrivener forum over the years have involved using iOS Scrivener without any use of the desktop versions of Scrivener. I believe this thread is a request to fill this documentation void with L&L-produced instructional videos on the subject of stand-alone iOS Scrivener use.

Again, I ask both parties’ forgiveness for butting in, most particularly if I’ve misunderstood this thread.

Hello Silverdragon and AmberV. Thank you for your replies. Silverdragon is correct in what they say.

I can view the videos. However, it is the content of the videos which I am commenting on.

I do not own either a laptop or a desktop. I use an iPad Mini 2, plus an iPhone 7. My husband bought the app for me and I think it is fantastic. However, all the instructional videos for iOS that I can find, assume prior knowledge of having used Scrivener on a laptop or desktop.

What I am asking for are tutorial videos which assume that the person using the app is a complete beginner (as, indeed, I am).

I acknowledge that the app is more limited than the laptop/desktop version, and that is fine. I think the app has enough features to satisfy me, if only I could work out how to use them all.

I would be very happy to work with someone on this if there is anyone willing to make some tutorial videos.

Many thanks
Janet Fizz

All right, in that case, what are the areas you find problematic, in either learning with the built-in manual/tutorial, or if what you’re looking to do isn’t addressed there?

You are correct in your presuming that we haven’t put a lot of time into this because it seems to be a largely straight-forward thing. You need only go through the tech support sections between Mac, Windows and iOS to see the very stark difference between how much depth there is to each respective platform. Likewise we don’t put any time into video tutorials for Scapple—there is only so much to learn before you hit the wall of what it does.

But I’m sure there are some things we just aren’t aware of as common road bumps. Sync setup was the most obviously confusing thing we were hearing in feedback, so we made a tutorial for it.

Hi AmberV
Thanks for getting back to me.
I am in the fortunate position of having now started on the path to understanding how to use the App without either a laptop or a desktop. However, the process was unnecessarily difficult, when a simple beginners tutorial video would have made things so much simpler.
On a Facebook group, I posted recently that it had taken me about 3 months before I realised that ‘ios’ referred to me! I then got verbally insulted. I deleted the post without reading all of it because I couldn’t understand why people were having a go at me, it was hurtful . It would be helpful if there was something for ‘Dummies’ (of which I am one) which explains that ios is the App.

I think what is probably happening is that people who find the tech easy, can’t really understand that not everyone finds it a straight forward thing. So those of us who struggle are getting left at the bottom of the pile simply because those who understand what is going on simply can’t believe that other people might find it difficult.

I know that age and gender need not be a barrier to understanding tech - but often it is. I am a middle aged woman who lives an isolated life off grid. I don’t have people around me to ask for help, in particular I don’t have young people (who seem to be born knowing how all of this stuff works). I battle hard to learn tech and am hugely proud of what I have achieved.

When I first got the app, I read through the tutorial. It was just gobbledegook - I could barely understand a word of it. I return to it periodically, and it is still difficult to understand. I have started to look closely at the (very minimal number) of videos which deal with ios and have begun to understand a little bit more each time.

But all of the videos assume a) prior knowledge of Scrivener, and b) access to either a laptop or a desktop.

As a brand new beginner, these video just were not helpful.

Eventually, I learned how to use this Forum - that in itself was a challenge. These things don’t come easily to everyone. Once I had learned how to navigate the site, I then struggled because I did not have the language to ask the questions. I didn’t know how to explain what I was struggling with. I have now learned to get around this by taking step by step screen shots and I find that works well because people can see what I am perhaps not expressing correctly in words.

I have looked at the L&L tutorial which deals with ‘sync’ and it assumes the viewer wants to sync between a Mac and a laptop. I don’t have either of these. I eventually got help from the forum (for which I am HUGELY grateful) and I have synced between my iPad Mini 2 and my iPhone &. But I still don’t know if it is necessary to have two devices. Can someone with only an iPad sync, or are two devices required?

I think you wanted me to say ‘please help me with this, this and this’ - but that is not what I am asking for. I am asking for a simple beginners video tutorial, both for my own use, but really, for all of the other people who will come after me who are in my position (neither laptop nor desktop). I would be more than happy to answer more questions on what might be required in such a video.

This message isn’t intended to be rude in any way, and I hope I haven’t come over as such. Trying to explain in writing is quite difficult and the tone can be mis-read in so many ways. I am respectful of you and of L&L and hope I haven’t said anything amiss. Thank you.

Have you watched this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWXsZ3bwJSg ?

Hi Teriodin

Yes, thank you, I have previously found and watched this video of Elaine Giles. It is a good video in itself. However, it assumes that the viewer also uses a Mac. The first 12 minutes are on a desktop or laptop. Then the info relating to the App starts.

Elaine clearly shows the method of syncing - but she syncs to the Mac.

When I first started with the App, I didn’t even realise that ios was what I had. Believe me, when I say I am a beginner, I really mean it, lol. So when I originally found the video several months ago, I gave up watching it after a few minutes, because I didn’t even realise that it was going to go on to the app after 12 minutes. If I am this raw, then I am sure that other people are, too.

The videos which I have found assume prior knowledge of Scrivener, from using either a laptop or a desktop. I don’t have prior knowledge, and starting from scratch on the App was terribly difficult. Are you a video person? I am trying to find someone who will make a beginners tutorial.

No, I’m a full-time writer.

I find most other authors I interact with don’t work like I do, so teaching them is not something I’d be any good at. :mrgreen:

I probably don’t use most of the features of any software available, including Scrivener, because for me it’s all about getting the story down. I don’t plot. I don’t use timelines. I retrospectively create a synopsis of each chapter. I edit as I go. I write 3,000 words per day, even on Christmas.

Scrivener is a useful tool and everyone needs to adapt to their own way of using it.

Hi AmberV
Thanks for getting back to me.
I am in the fortunate position of having now started on the path to understanding how to use the App without either a laptop or a desktop. However, the process was unnecessarily difficult, when a simple beginners tutorial video would have made things so much simpler.
On a Facebook group, I posted recently that it had taken me about 3 months before I realised that ‘ios’ referred to me! I then got verbally insulted. I deleted the post without reading all of it because I couldn’t understand why people were having a go at me, it was hurtful . It would be helpful if there was something for ‘Dummies’ (of which I am one) which explains that ios is the App.

I think what is probably happening is that people who find the tech easy, can’t really understand that not everyone finds it a straight forward thing. So those of us who struggle are getting left at the bottom of the pile simply because those who understand what is going on simply can’t believe that other people might find it difficult.

I know that age and gender need not be a barrier to understanding tech - but often it is. I am a middle aged woman who lives an isolated life off grid. I don’t have people around me to ask for help, in particular I don’t have young people (who seem to be born knowing how all of this stuff works). I battle hard to learn tech and am hugely proud of what I have achieved.

When I first got the app, I read through the tutorial. It was just gobbledegook - I could barely understand a word of it. I return to it periodically, and it is still difficult to understand. I have started to look closely at the (very minimal number) of videos which deal with ios and have begun to understand a little bit more each time.

But all of the videos assume a) prior knowledge of Scrivener, and b) access to either a laptop or a desktop.

As a brand new beginner, these video just were not helpful.

Eventually, I learned how to use this Forum - that in itself was a challenge. These things don’t come easily to everyone. Once I had learned how to navigate the site, I then struggled because I did not have the language to ask the questions. I didn’t know how to explain what I was struggling with. I have now learned to get around this by taking step by step screen shots and I find that works well because people can see what I am perhaps not expressing correctly in words.

I have looked at the L&L tutorial which deals with ‘sync’ and it assumes the viewer wants to sync between a Mac and a laptop. I don’t have either of these. I eventually got help from the forum (for which I am HUGELY grateful) and I have synced between my iPad Mini 2 and my iPhone &. But I still don’t know if it is necessary to have two devices. Can someone with only an iPad sync, or are two devices required?

I think you wanted me to say ‘please help me with this, this and this’ - but that is not what I am asking for. I am asking for a simple beginners video tutorial, both for my own use, but really, for all of the other people who will come after me who are in my position (neither laptop nor desktop). I would be more than happy to answer more questions on what might be required in such a video.

This message isn’t intended to be rude in any way, and I hope I haven’t come over as such. Trying to explain in writing is quite difficult and the tone can be mis-read in so many ways. I am respectful of you and of L&L and hope I haven’t said anything amiss. Thank you.