Twilight

Yeah, I admit it, I’m a guy and have read Twilight. So, has anyone else? :slight_smile:
I first saw the movie (it wasn’t really on my initiative) and… well, the best part was, in my opinion, that they they put a song from Muse in the film. The rest was, well, um… oookay. Other guys being dragged there by their girlfriends fell asleep, though :smiley:
So I borrowed the books (didn’t have anything else to read at that time), hoping it was better.
And it was. If you didn’t know, Twilight is a love story (with vampires). A movie is just the wrong format for that because it’s so incredibly shortened - a whole series would be more fitting (soap-opera style and everything). Anyway, I somehow enjoyed reading Twilight, although it’s a bit unfamiliar to me to read a love story. I do like love story bits, but I usually read them wrapped in a “bigger” story because I assumed that it gets boring if the author stretches a love story over 500 pages.
What Stephenie Meyer did here to not bore me to my death is to put more than just a textified soap opera in a book cover. It can’t be reduced to some “I love him does he love me oh he loves me oh he doesnt oh he does?” (Edit: Ah well… it can, apparently - I wrote that when I was reading the first book :smiley:) - it’s the other way round, compared to some of the fantasy books I read before: It’s a fantasy story wrapped in a love story.

(Made a few minor edits after having finished reading.)

I have read the first twilight book, at the insistence of my partner.

I absolutely hated it. It might as well have been High School Musical. I had the exact opposite reaction to you: I thought it could be reduced to a “he loves me, he doesn’t love me, he loves me…”

And because I wasn’t going to go any further into the series, I now know the story line for the rest of it… as it was described to me, it seems to get ever more ridiculous.

Matt

PS - If you really want to be turned off the books and movies and the cult it has become, just try reading some of the “reviews” written about the Twilight soundtrack in iTunes :slight_smile:

Instead of getting in to all of that, I just watched Låt den rätte komma in.

[size=80]Elitism in relation to vampire movies![/size]

iTunes review boards in general have got to the be the worst in the industry. For whatever reason, Apple’s interface encourages teh nothing but an avalanche of useless ThreeWordReviews. Click yes if you agree.

When the 15 year old daughter tossed the book as “not worth the effort to carry it home” I decided I would avoid it. She is still infatuated with Monté Cristo, Vanity Fair, Cyrano, and the like.†

Of course all her friends loved it.

†[size=75]No TV, cell phone, or video games. Asks us to turn off the movie as it is interrupting her reading. I consider this a victory.

Now on to boy, who seems to be infatuated with the Wheel of Time series. <-- Those are books I enjoy.[/size]

I don’t care much about the cult, except that some more people have the books so I don’t have to buy them.
Usually, I buy books when I really like them since I’ll want to read them again once - but I’m not sure if I’ll buy the Twilight books.
Of course it’s not necessarily something that would be called “important literature” in general, but I don’t really care about the public reputation of books much :smiley:

John Ajvide Lindqvist is the Stephen King of Sweden. He’s got another one called “Hanteringen av odöda”, that I just saw is coming out in english: “Handling the undead”. You’ll probably be able to get that in your local bookstore, but if you would want a swedish copy you’ll probably have to ask me :wink:
I don’t know how good your swedish is though, but I was impressed you got the title right with all the dots and circles above the a’s in all the right places.

Mange

I wish I could read it in Swedish. I’m not very good, though. I know some common words and phrases by sound, as I’ve watched a ton of Bergman, but would be hopelessly lost attempting to read it! I think it is a very under-appreciated language. Over here anyway, much “romantic” emphasis is placed on languages like French and Italian, but I think Swedish has a beautiful cadence and sound.

But, I’ve been meaning to pick up the book, and this posted reminded me, so thanks!

Amber,
here´s a few John Ajvide Lindqvist swedish bookcovers for you to look at. They might give you an idea of why he’s spoken of in Sweden as a “Stephen-King-type-of-writer”.

Handling the undead

Hanteringen.jpg

Pappersväggar (=Paper walls), contains short stories

Pappersväggar.jpg

and his latest: Människohamn (=Human harbour)

And if you do feel like you want to brush up on your swedish, just let me know and I’ll send you a copy of “Hanteringen av odöda” in paperback :wink: .

Magnus

I particularly like the cover for Paper Walls, and I like that title too. This actually sounds a bit more like Brian Evenson, except that he is not a very well known horror author. A pity because his stuff is fantastically well written (both structurally and as prose). Dark Properties, Wavering Knife, and Altmann’s Tongue are my favourites.