Two Help menus

Scriv 1.52 has two Help menus when running under Snow Leopard. It looks like you might be instantiating one yourself, in addition to the system provided one.

Hi Gordon,

No, that’s definitely not happening (the instantiating thing, I mean, I’m not saying you’re not getting two Help menus!). This has nothing to do with Snow Leopard - I’ve seen this on Leopard before. When you see two Help menus at start up, it means that some sort of error has been thrown during program launch. Could you please take a look on the Console (~/Applications/Utilities/Console.app) and see if any errors are getting thrown by Scrivener when it starts up? Also, try re-downloading and re-installing from the main product page if you did an automatic update, in case it is something as simple as the automatic update not downloading properly.

Thanks and all the best,
Keith

Hi, that just happened to me on Tiger after an automatic update. I reopened Scrivener, and the second Help menu is now gone. If it helps, I’ll keep the Console open next time I start Scrivener, but what should I be keeping an eye on? It’s gibberish to me…

I’m on 10.5.8 on a G4 PowerBook, and the same thing happened to me when I updated to the new version of Scrivener. I just closed Scrivener and re-launched and the extra help menu was no longer there. I suspect it might have got “left behind” from the Esellerate serial number lookup thingy, but I’m probably wrong.

Best wishes,

Martin BB.

Curious. Was this after the automatic update, or on downloading from the site in each case? It is possible that the activation panel happens at just the wrong moment on relaunch, I suppose, but I wouldn’t have thought so… Obviously I tested it a fair number of times and on a couple of different machines, so it’s strange.

Thanks and all the best,
Keith

In my case it was after automatic update. I remember vaguely that at some point there was a menu bar that only had “Scrivener” and “Help” on it (apart from the Apple), but I wasn’t paying close attention, because I was half expecting something to go wrong with the Esellerate lookup (fear of the unknown) and was busy wondering what I was going to do if there was a problem. I wondered for a moment if the two help menus were intentional and part of the lookup process, but concluded that it was likely to be a glitch and re-launched. I don’t suppose there is likely to be any sort of log on my computer that I could send you. Let me know if I there is.

Cheers,

Martin.

I have the same on Tiger (10.4.11). I ran the update by downloading the new version from the site, then activated when I launched the program.

One menu has several choices (Tutorial, L&L Home, Scrivener Home, etc), the other has just one choice – Scrivener Help w/keyboard shortcut.

Susan

I haven’t quit and relaunched yet, so if there’s anything I can send in to help, let me know.

Susan

If you could just take a look on the Console (by opening ~/Applications/Utilities/Console.app) and see if there any Scrivener-related errors reported at around the time you updated, that would be great.
Thanks and all the best,
Keith

I don’t see the word Scrivener in the Console at all, but I do have a bunch of these around the time I am pretty sure I launched and activated the latest version:

Aug 27 09:17:58 piBook mDNSResponder: mDNSPlatformSendUDP sendto failed to send packet on InterfaceID 01810800 en1/6 to FF02:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:00FB:5353 skt 9 error -1 errno 49 (Can’t assign requested address) 255586631

There are approximately 10 repetitions of the above, and then this:

2009-08-27 09:20:57.615 DiskImages UI Agent[641] Could not find image named ‘background’.
Debugger() was called!
Debugger() was called!
Debugger() was called!

MRJPlugin: getPluginBundle() here.

MRJPlugin: CFBundleGetBundleWithIdentifier() succeeded.

MRJPlugin: CFURLGetFSRef() succeeded.

The rest of the activity in the log is clearly identified as other software.

Hope this helps. Sorry if it’s just gibberish!

Susan

Im running tiger 10.4.11. I see two help menus as well with the latest update. I don’t see any scrivener related items in console.app around the time I (automatically) updated to 1.52.

Edit: hmm that’s weird. The two help menus problem vanished after I quit and relaunched scrivener.