Two Macs, two versions of Scrivener; can this work?

Hi! I just recently got Scrivener via the MacHeist bundle, and discovered… it doesn’t work on my main writing machine, an older MacBook Air. Curses, foiled again. However, I installed it on the desktop machine (registered and everything), so I would be able to futz around with it and it would be there whenever I got around to upgrading my machine. (…which will be when it dies and cannot be resurrected; my love is harsh.)

Then I discovered that there’s an older version of Scrivener, which might indeed run on my old Airbook! I downloaded it, and it gets to the registration part (unlike the other version, which just crashed cheerfully upon startup), but it doesn’t accept the serial number for the version I purchased and registered.

Is there any hope for me, or would I need to purchase the older version separately to have it on my poor, old, not-being-upgraded, MacBook Air?

Thanks.

The modern version should work just fine on your MacBook Air. That’s a fairly recent computer. We in fact support machines that go all the way back to the PPC era, running OS X 10.4 Tiger. The Air is way more modern than that. In fact, unless your MBA is still running 10.6, the old version may not even work properly on it (but the serial number for 2.x will not work in 1.x no matter, that’s a different problem).

Crash on startup could be a number of things, it’s hard to say what the problem is. The first things I would try would be re-downloading a fresh copy and reinstalling it, clearing out your preference files, and trying to run it again.

Did you download from here: literatureandlatte.com/download_mac.php ?
There are two different downloads for Mac OS 10.4 & 10.5, (Tiger and Leopard) and 10.6 and above (Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion) .

The original Air came installed with Leopard, so if you never upgraded your OS, then that version* should run on yours.

Edit: * “That version” means the one for 10.4 & 10.5, if that wasn’t clear.

Actually, that’s a separate point that I forgot about, if you are using Snow Leopard instead of Leopard. We have had scattered reports of the 10.6+ version crashing on some Snow Leopard machines. We have no idea why this would be the case, but those users have reported that switching to the 10.4+ download solved the problem for them. So I’d give that a try. The 10.4 version will run fine on Snow Leopard. The only difference between the two is that the older one has some code for Gate Keeper in 10.7+ that will cause crashes in 10.4 and 10.5.