Two PCs, one Scrivener possible

I’d like to start work with Scrivener soon. I have a standard Win10 PC at home and a laptop with Win10 as well which I use for the same projects when I’m on the move.

Each one has the same user name (not a microsoft email address) and pw.

Normally I use a cloud server as a common area to load up and down the data of my projects.

Can I buy one copy of Scrivener and use it on two PCs? Would the licence allow that?

Thanks for any help.

BW

Hi

Yes.

And read the advisory on the help site about using cloud services to share your projects between the two. Do not use Google Drive, and as a Mac user I’m not sure about One Drive … I think there were problems with that corrupting projects some time back and I don’t know if it’s been sorted. Dropbox is safe, and I’ve moved onto Sync, following the demise of Cubby. Sync seems to do the job well too.

Mark

Are there any plans for Scrivener to be compatible with Google Drive? I use OneDrive and Dropbox too, but GDrive is my primary by far.

“No” is the answer L&L has given numerous times. Google Drive doesn’t operate in a way that works with Scrivener projects.

Thank you for that answer, but in the meanwhile I figured out a way to do it and it’s working very well. Have a nice night.

If you mean “using Google Drive to sync your projects between PCs” by “it”, then be very careful about how you make your changes. Any sync service will get the files between computers, but the reason most sync services aren’t supported is that there are many different ways to go about syncing files. Not all of them are created equal. With a Scrivener project being a large number of RTF, XML, and other files all related in complex ways, how a sync service goes about doing its job matters quite a bit.

Google Drive, OneDrive, etc. have all been observed by multiple users to inevitably lose data or cause project corruptions. Keep a careful eye on your data and make sure it’s not being altered/lost – nobody wants you to find out months down the road that you’ve lost a lot of hard work!

One of the ways I’ve used in the past when I was using OneDrive was to configure Scrivener to produce a compressed archive backup file (so all of the dozens of files in my project were, on backup, placed into a single ZIP file archive, thus preserving the files, the data, and any meta-data they required). I configured my backup directory to be on my sync service. That way, any time I closed Scrivener on one computer (or manually saved a project), a new backup ZIP file was made and synced to my other machines. When I’d open Scrivener on another of those machines, I’d simply remove my normal working directory of my project, unzip the most current backup to my working directory, and open Scrivener. When I was done, a new backup ZIP file would be saved back to the sync folder.

No matter which sync service you use, make sure you do not have Scrivener open on the same project at the same time. When you’re done writing on your first PC, close Scrivener. That way, it doesn’t have any chance to update project files and cause conflicts. This will not eliminate your risk, but it will reduce it.

Hope everything goes well for you!

Thank you for that useful reply, Devin. I understand your point and I’ll follow your advice. What type of backup or syncing system do you use?

I have a combination of Mac and PC, so your mileage may vary. I have both the DropBox and OneDrive applications installed on each Mac and Windows PC, each with the sync folders under my regular user home directory.

I’m using DropBox as my primary sync engine for my Scrivener projects. I have a separate Apps\Scrivener folder set up in DropBox (this facilitates using the iOS version) and my active Scrivener projects go there. This allows me to seamlessly sync between my Mac and my Surface Pro, as well as have them available via my backup laptop (and via Web if I need them).

On all of them, I have Scrivener configured to backup the last 25 of each project, with date and time included, into a .ZIP file in the OneDrive\WritingBackups folder. Every time I close Scrivener, or manually save, a new backup file is created and synced into OneDrive. This way if something trashes my DropBox, I have archives of all my work. Likewise, if something trashes OneDrive, my live projects aren’t messed up.

For projects that are no longer active, I move them out of my Dropbox\Apps\Scrivener folder into my OneDrive\WritingArchive folder. I have a lot more room in my OneDrive (I purchase the yearly Office subscription so get 1TB as a benefit) than I do DropBox, so I keep DropBox uncluttered as much as possible. This also makes it easier to sync to an iOS device and manage my projects there. All I have to do is move the project between the appropriate folders to make it active or inactive (and then wait for the appropriate sync).

For disk backups, I have a removable drive attached to my Surface Pro docking station, and I have the native Windows 10 backup taking snapshots of my files onto the removable drive. The way it is set up, it automatically backs up my local copies of DropBox and OneDrive as well as the rest of my home directory. That way I always have a local backup too in case my Internet is down.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for that. It does help very much.

I have a similar device setup to Devin – mine is PCs and iDevices – and use DropBox & OneDrive in exactly the same way he does, and have had excellent results. Very happy with it.

Thank you, Jim.

I have installed Scrivener in a second (portable) device (Windows 10 and Chrome), and want to use Dropbox to sync. Within Dropbox I have a Scrivener folder, ‘[Project].scriv’, and within it is the file ‘[Project].scriv’. On opening this file, I get a Scrivener warning box, ‘Location Access Error’, which states:
Cannot access ‘C/Users/Michael Harris/AppData /Local/Microsoft/Windows/iNetCache/IE/HMCJ6ECA/[Project Name].scrivx’
File is not available: Access is denied.
Auto-saves need written permission to your project.

Can you tell me where I am going wrong, please?
(The first Scrivener account is installed in a Windows 10 PC, with Chrome.)

The folder is .scriv, but the file you open should be .scrivx

Edit: Oh, your error message says you tried to open it, but why do you mention having Chrome installed? You are not trying to use the web interface for Dropbox, are you? You need to download the Dropbox app so you get a Dropbox folder you can access in Explorer.