Two Queries (And Maybe Wishes) in One

Hi guys,

Couple of questions, here.

1. Is there any way to get the Project Notes window to stay on the screen once it’s opened (maybe a hidden preference, maybe)? The Inspector really isn’t the way to go for the way that I’m used to working, though I suppose I could use it in a pinch; a floating window would be preferable, if possible.

2. Is there any way to get Page View to show page numbers in the upper/lower corners of the pages? I know we can keep track of our page count using the status bar at the bottom, but years upon years of of Wordification have trained me to look “right there” for page numbers, and it’d be great to be able to have that there.

If either of these aren’t currently possible, then I’d seriously suggest either of them as candidates for the Wish List (if that is they’re not impossible to do for some arcane programmatic reason I’m probably not trained to understand). :smiley:

Thanks for any help,
—Andy H.

Do you mean, if you switch out of Scrivener? It does for me. If I put it beside the project window and then have a browser to the right of the notes window, I can move between all three just fine. Later you refer to floating though. You won’t be able have your cake and eat it too. You can either have a window that is globally persistent and participates in the window stack normally, or you can have a window that floats above Scrivener windows but in doing so becomes a “utility” window that is vanished whenever Scrivener is in the background, like the colour palette does. To float a window in Scrivener, use [b]Window/Float Window[/b].

There isn’t. That might send the wrong message, since they aren’t actually page numbers in the footer bar. Page count is more accurate, since one may be viewing any portion of the full book but it always starts at “page 1”.

Okay, thanks, that makes sense. The ‘Float Window’ option does exactly what I wanted. I understand about the page numbers thing. (I’ve posted another question about page numbers elsewhere, just a few minutes ago.) Mainly what I was wanting was page numbers for just the document object itself, but I suppose it would be nice if there was a feature that did this, though—that displayed either ‘document’ page numbers or ‘project’ page numbers on the actual pages, in accordance with the user’s Compile settings. I only say this because SO many people are used to working this way — in terms of page numbers, that is.

Well the project page number thing is mainly a computational problem. It takes a while to generate that number. Use the Project/Project Statistics window to see how long, and that might need to be recalculated fairly frequently, which would slow the whole program down and use up a lot of battery power for portable users on computation. Word processors have it easier because the window is all you’ll ever get when you print. In Scrivener, the section you are looking at in the editor might not even been in the final product, which of course then raises the question of what should happen to non-included items in regards to page numbers, because that is a more complicated question than just the Include flag in inspector, there are soft-filter ways of choosing included items as well, not to mention that a text file on level one might not include its text in the final product, but will on any level of depth lower than one, etc. Anyway, yeah, lots of problems with trying to calculate the page number of some arbitrary item in the outline, let alone showing contiguous numbers on pages in Scrivenings views and whatnot.

Well, now I feel rather foolish for making this a request on the wish list area of the board. :slight_smile: But thanks for the explanation. I was wondering how that would work out, exactly, with excluded items, etcetera. I had a hunch that this was actually the case — that it was a computational problem (and thus for mobile users, a power problem) — so I guess it’s a case of a nonprogrammer assuming the simplicity of a task without going through the programmatic process of breaking down the problem and solution into a set of discreet logical steps. But it would be nice to have, if a good enough algorithm could be devised. Now where did I put my “big O” notation reference . . .