Uh oh! Footnotes.

Just out of curiousity, what plans (if any) do you have for further developments of footnotes?

After writing a fairly long research paper using Scrivener, I’ve come to be bothered by the footnote system, and would like to offer some friendly suggestions. I am aware of your anti-page layout motto, so know that none of these ask for footnotes at the bottom of a page. On to the suggestions:

1. Instead of in-text footnotes, create a drawer or gutter at the bottom of the page that will collect all footnotes for display when needed. This will allow footnotes to be more footnote-like, without ruining your Scrivener agenda of not being a layout program. Personally, I feel that the whole footnote system now is flawed in that (in a supposedly distraction reduced program) they disturb me and create artificial breaks within the text, sometimes several lines long (depending on the complexity of the citation). If a bottom of the window gutter/pane/drawer is too much, the following is also helpful.
  2. Allow footnotes to be retractable: they can either be closed or opened, but whenever you hover your cursor over the superscript of a retracted footnote, a tooltip pops up displaying the full text that is concealed. And lastly,
  3. If neither of the above ideas sound seem useful to you, consider making the footnote/annotation outlines squared off at the edges (not rounded), for it would look more aesthetically pleasing. In any case, the option would be wonderful. :slight_smile:

Thanks for your consideration, those are my suggestions.

P.S. Has anyone mentioned the bug that occurs when a footnote/annotation meets the end of a word (with no space between the two), and considers the two touching words as one that is incorrectly spelled? The trick with this bug is that it only surfaces on occasion, affecting certain footnotes but not others.

This topic has been discussed to death. Here is one of the most recent discussions, just a few entries down from your own topic:

[url]https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/about-notes-annotations-and-links/288/1]

You can do a search to find other discussions of this issue.

The short answer is that these suggestions and others like it have already been tossed around and the developer has made it clear these kinds of changes won’t be happening any time soon if at all.

Not sure about the bug.

Alexandria

This topic has been discussed to death. Here is one of the most recent discussions, just a few entries down from your own topic:

[url]https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/about-notes-annotations-and-links/288/1]

You can do a search to find other discussions of this issue.

The short answer is that these suggestions and others like it have already been tossed around and the developer has made it clear these kinds of changes won’t be happening any time soon if at all.

Not sure about the bug.

Alexandria

Oh, well I suppose there is nothing new here then. This topic should be ignored.