UK Stage template - parenthetical

Does anyone know if it possible, using the UK Stage template, to go between these elements (Character, Parenthetical, Dialogue, Character) using the tab and enter keys?

JOHN (distressed) Mary, where are you?

MARY (sleepy) Who’s that calling?

If so, I would be very grateful for the settings.

Ninety-seven views and no replies so it looks like it is not possible. @tiho_d, @AmberV, can you confirm the above is not possible in Scrivener 3 with either the UK Stage template, or a custom template, i.e.:

Return
CHARACTER, tab, i[/i], tab, DIALOGUE, return
CHARACTER etc

In other words, every time the writer wants a parenthetical on the same line, it has to me manually inserted and formatted?

No, the specific steps you’re looking for here are not possible with the way that Scrivener manages script formatting. It’s possible to create a custom element that models the Character & Dialogue UK stage setting and have text in a certain style up to an initial character (tab, in the case of the Character & Dialogue, or a colon or the like), but that’s about all you can do for applying different formatting to chunks of text on the same line. If you set an element as a parenthetical, for instance, it will apply to all the text of the element.

That said, my understanding is that the standard UK Stage format doesn’t use parentheticals this way but rather would place them within the dialogue section in all caps, as in this example. If you follow that practice, you would still have to type the parentheses yourself and hold the Shift key, but you wouldn’t need additional tabbing for adjusting their place within the line. Maybe that’s what you meant anyway; it’s hard to tell from forum formatting. :slight_smile:

Thanks very much for the reply MM. Yes, I was trying to find out if I could avoid manually inserting the left bracket, adding text with a different case, adding the right bracket and then continuing with the dialogue as per the UK stage template. My reasoning was that it is possible to have two different styles on the one line i.e., CHARACTER and dialogue so why not three? But if that is not possible, so be it, as long as it compiles correctly.