UK vs US dictionary.

(Moved this here ^^;)

Do you think someone could check the “British” vs “American” Dictionaries?

I have the British “Moist git” dictionary and it thinks “smoldering” is the correct spelling.
Obviously, I could be losing my mind, having spent twenty years in Japan, but still, OED agrees with me that it is “smouldering.”

Scrivener uses the latest Aspell dictionaries available for Windows, here: aspell.net/win32/. Lee is working on porting the .60 versions to Windows as he is able; I’m not sure how the British dictionary for the newer Linux version compares to the older one, but we can put it on the list. The priorities have been languages that do not have a .50 version at all, but I appreciate that some of the existing dictionaries have a lot of quirks.

The Aspell dictionaries work in an interesting way.
There is a core English dictionary of about 229,000 words which are treated as common to all English speaking countries.
There is then a US English add-on file which contains c. 4,500 additional US only words (color, and lots of things with z in them).
Then there is a British English add-on. Again, c. 4,500 additional words.

Under version 0.50, the offending word “smoldering” is included in the ‘core’ English dictionary - so Aspell thinks (or at least thought) that it’s universally known and used.

I’ve checked out the update and it certainly looks like the version 0.60 version includes not just an update to how Aspell checks words (ie what alternatives it suggests when a word isn’t in it’s dictionary) but to the actual word lists themselves. In other words, I can confirm that in 0.60, smoldering won’t be in the British list, just the US one.

In fact, I’d say that the Aspell site might actually become one of the more useful online dictionary portals for those worried about cross-border spellings (as a Brit who lives in Canada and deals a lot with Americans).

suggest.aspell.net/