Unable to change line spacing for epub

Hi guys!

I’m trying to compile my novel as an epub. It works fine, but no matter what i try, I’m unable to adjust my line-spacing. I am using the “as is” option, and have been attempting to get the line spacing to at least 1.3-1.5. It works on screen, but whenever I open the completed Epub, the line spacing stubbornly remains at what I assume is 1 point. The text is far too close together and I seem unable to change this.

Can anyone suggest where I’m going wrong? Many thanks


Have you checked the specifications for epub, if you can control it at all? In epub-readers the reader can change font and size and possibly also line spacing.

I think you must be able to set a default leading even for ebooks. I have opened other epubs and they have generous spacing between lines. My exported epubs, however, have very tight leading. I’m not sure why. I don’t seem to be able to change this from within Scrivener?

Can anyone help?

Scrivener intentionally strips out such commands because it is bad practice to change that setting up front. It should be left up to the reader’s individual preferences and the devices settings. Books that override or modify the base value cause one’s preferred reading appearance to get all out of skew.

Um, I don’t usually generate ePubs, but I do download lots of ePubs (academic open access journal articles can be downloaded as ePubs) and I use Calibre to edit the CSS to change line-height, very easy to do…

developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/W … ine-height

Ah, OK. While that does make sense, I’m also confused by it, because in Apple iBooks, for instance, which I use for ebooks, there seems to be no way to adjust line spacing. Most the books I have on it already appear to have been formatted with a decent leading. The epub file I was created via Scrivener just did not look right. Some of the letters between certain lines almost seemed to be touching. I 'm not sure that should be the case. Thanks for replying :slight_smile:

Thank you :slight_smile: I have just found Calibre and a simple change in the CSS seemed to do the job perfectly. I think I will use Calibre frequently now!

Oh sure, it can be done (Scrivener wouldn’t strip out the formatting if it had no effect) but because a thing can be done doesn’t necessarily make it good practice. It also doesn’t imply it universally is, but generally yes, and since the vast majority using Scrivener don’t really need or want to be indirectly messing up someone’s Kobo or whatnot, its best to leave that (and a few other things) out.

As for Calibre, yes that’s also a great tool for cleaning unwanted formatting being forced by the publisher into the reader. :wink:

I’ll have to check out iBooks later, maybe there is something we can be doing better there, but when I said reader preference I meant both cases where one is given options while reading and where the reader kit itself makes a hard choice for the individual.

Having had a chance to check iBooks, I’m not seeing the result you describe on my system. I just threw some bulk sample text into a blank project, applied the “E-book” compile format preset and opened the result in iBooks though. All pretty vanilla, and I’d say the leading is what Apple surely intends, so there must be some other condition compounding with iBooks display.