Unable to launch Scrivener after OS Lion upgrade

Hi,

Unfortunately to my horror I am unable to launch Scrivener since updating to OS Lion. I receive the following error message:

“Scriver” is damaged and can’t be opened. Delete “Scrivener” and download it again from the App Store."

I’m trying not to panic as I’m sure there is another option to deleting my current application and purchasing a new one. Please advise. -thx

Hi,

This has happened to quite a few users - it seems the Lion update has changed the OS enough so that the App Store registration information embedded in the downloaded version on Snow Leopard has been corrupted or is no longer being recognised. This is an unfortunately glitch with the App Store. However, it should be easy enough to fix - please try the following:

1. Move Scrivener from your Applications folder to the Trash.

2. Fire up the App Store and click on “Purchased” in the toolbar.

3. There you should see Scrivener listed with an “INSTALL” button next to it (moving Scrivener to the Trash in step (1) will have enabled this button - before the App Store would have thought Scrivener was installed fine even though it had become damaged).

4. Click on “INSTALL” and all should be good.

If that doesn’t work, though, let us know. You certainly don’t need to buy again.

Hope that helps.

All the best,
Keith

Hey Keith,

Sadly the install button is still “greyed-out” even after my rebooting. Please advise.

I’m almost afraid to ask, but please tell me my manuscript would still be stored on my hard-drive

Your manuscript will be unaffected, don’t worry - as long as you only updated and didn’t wipe your hard drive or anything, it should be where you left it.

Did you definitely move Scrivener to the Trash folder? If so, try emptying the Trash. Next, search for “Scrivener” in Spotlight in case it is somewhere else on your hard disk too, and move any other copies of Scrivener to the Trash, then try again. The “Install” button is only greyed out if the App Store thinks you already have a copy of Scrivener on your hard drive, so the key is to make sure that you have trashed all copies.

All the best,
Keith

Success!

Dude, I owe you a bottle of champagne! Really appreciate your assistance, have a great weekend!